TP LINK WDR3600 video stuttering on local streaming

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

guear

Re: TP LINK WDR3600 video stuttering on local streaming

Post by guear »

I will try that sometime this week.

I thought that QoS doesn't affect LAN at all and it is turned off anyway.

guear

Post by guear »

So after testing stock firmware for 4-5days with 20hours+ video, it didn't have any problem. Then I tried openwrt for 2 days with ~10hours video, it seems to have 1 hiccup on very high bitrate scene but restarting the router solved it. Lastly, I switched back to gargoyle, it didn't have any stuttering on first day with ~3 hours streaming except on the high bitrate scene I mentioned earlier. Rebooting didn't solve it. The next day, stuttering occurred the first 15min of the video. Rebooting only delayed the stuttering for like 5 mins then it occurred again.

Now, I switched back to stock and haven't had any stuttering on the scene I mentioned above.

drawz

Post by drawz »

only thing i can possibly think of is that hardware NAT is supported by stock firmware but not by OpenWrt/Gargoyle. I wouldn't think that would be a bottleneck though as most routers also do not support hardware NAT. In addition, most routers disable hardware NAT when QOS is enabled anyway.

Define high bitrate for us in this case.

guear

Post by guear »

It is about 14mbit/s video. On the pc that is sending out the data, I saw 3-5% network utilization of 1gbps link. I didn't check the utilization on the receiving pc but it is only a 100mbps link.

drawz

Post by drawz »

that really shouldn't be a big issue. If i had to guess, it probably has something to do with the relatively new atheros chipset in these TP-Link routers. I would take your concern to the OpenWrt team or perhaps directly to the Atheros open source driver team.

marcb

Post by marcb »

Did 1.5.11 solve this?