VPN from sub router

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

IanBlakeley

VPN from sub router

Post by IanBlakeley »

I'd had to retire my gargoyle router when my ISP upgrade meant it could no longer keep up with the new line speed. Until I find something I can get here and run gargoyle on I am stuck with my ISP C1200 for which there isn't custom firmware. While the C1200 will work as a VPN server it will not as a client.

I was wondering if there's a way I can use my Gargoyle WDR3600 as an access point and a connection to an external VPN as a client. That way having a second network that is over the VPN including separate WiFi. Whilst the access point bit seems simple enough the VPN will be routing via the WAN rather than LAN and I can't seem to see a way I can use that from my existing LAN.

Currently C1200 router is 192.168.70.1/24 obviously give the WDR3600 an address on that network for its LAN and I can access via that but not the WAN port, although it will take a DHCP assignment from the C1200 I get nothing from the assigned address.

is it possible or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Lantis

Re: VPN from sub router

Post by Lantis »

The only way this will work in practice is if you keep Gargoyle configured as a Gateway, and connected downstream of your ISP router.
This will create another subnet, which would be routed through the VPN.

The connection would be C2100 LAN -> WDR3600 WAN.

I do not think it will work as a LAN to LAN configuration at all, without some pretty clever routing trickery.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

IanBlakeley

Re: VPN from sub router

Post by IanBlakeley »

Thanks.

I did wonder, I'd have kept the WD3600 as the main router but sadly that tops out around 110MBps. I'll stick to VPN on the PC and try and think of another method of deploying via wireless