Where do I set WAN DNS?

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

mrroute

Where do I set WAN DNS?

Post by mrroute »

I am connected via Static IP for WAN in Gargoyle 1.9.2. I see my LAN DNS settings are used for the WAN. Can I use different DNS servers for the WAN?

Lantis

Re: Where do I set WAN DNS?

Post by Lantis »

Can you please explain your requirement more?
The LAN DNS should be sufficient.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

mrroute

Post by mrroute »

I always used restricted dns servers such as Norton ConnectSafe for connected clients. The router gets assigned an unrestricted DNS servers.

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

mrroute wrote:I always used restricted dns servers such as Norton ConnectSafe for connected clients. The router gets assigned an unrestricted DNS servers.
Under Connection, Basic, LAN, you can set Norton ConnectSafe as your DNS server. There's even an option to force your clients to use that DNS if they try to use another DNS.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

mrroute

Post by mrroute »

Yes, thanks. I am using that for the clients. I was just wondering how to use a different DNS for the WAN side.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

That is for the WAN. It is all really the same.

The router will use whatever server you specify to resolve DNS queries. The LAN clients will ask the router for DNS queries.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.