Gargoyle and Pi-Hole (ad-blocking)

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

darrepac

Re: Gargoyle and Pi-Hole (ad-blocking)

Post by darrepac »

Lantis wrote:What DNS server are the devices set to use?
They should be pointing at the router, which will do the forwarding.

If that is the current scenario, try pointing them directly at the Pi-hole.
If that resolves the issue, we could change dnsmasq to advertise the pi-hole directly rather than itself (I believe it's an option "6")
Right now, on the example above, 192.168.0.10 is a computer with DNS setting hardcoded to point directly to pi-hole IP (192.168.0.88) and the router has still my ISP DNS as setting.
Is it normal that the router catch DNS request that should go directly from 192.168.0.88 to 212.27.40.240/241 (ISP DNS)?

Once, in the router, I put 192.168.0.88 as custom DNS server to be used, no more machine has access to internet, I got the max DNS request message, etc => loop

About dhcp-option=6, I guess that it is similar that when I do it through the user interface by putting my custom DNS, isn't it?

darrepac

Re: Gargoyle and Pi-Hole (ad-blocking)

Post by darrepac »

So I found the root cause...
Browsing iptable and dnsmasq config, I eventually found something about "intercepting DNS" option which makes me think about a Gargoyle DNS option "Force clients to use router DNS server". I did not really understand how "powerful" this option was and once I deactivate it, everything goes to normal!
Thanks to all and hope this forum thread would help others...