Slowing internet speed on purpuse

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Opale7000

Slowing internet speed on purpuse

Post by Opale7000 »

Hello gargoyle fans

I know this is an unusual request but is it possible to decrease the internet speed. Some users are using more bandwidth faster than others?

d3fz

Re: Slowing internet speed on purpuse

Post by d3fz »

Not unusual at all, it's actually called Bandwidth Throttling. Pretty common scenario nowadays, as new devices can consume all available bandwidth in no time.

I've described how to achieve this goal before (using Quotas), take a look and see if it's any help.

How to allocate/throttle bandwidth to specific device(s)
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

Opale7000

Post by Opale7000 »

Very nice. Thanks for that 8-)

NGowner

Post by NGowner »

I tried doing this as well using quotas, but it had the unintended consequence of forcing a quota page to load once the quota was breached. Created some confusion in the house, as our Internet is unlimited. I just wanted to limit bandwidth. I was able to accomplish that without using quotas, only using QOS.

Go to the Firewall/QOS (Download) page. (If you haven't already, enable QOS via the tick box, and enter your connection's max sustained download speed in the Total Download Bandwidth box.)

1) Add New Service Class. Create your name. 1% bandwidth at capacity. No bandwidth minimum. Set your bandwidth maximum to your preferred value (That's the throttle, and mind your units!). Optimize WAN utilization. Add Service Class. If you need different throttle levels, you'll need to make different Service Classes for each throttle level.

2) Add New Classification Rule: Create a Destination IP criteria for each IP address you want throttled. (It would have been nice to use IP ranges here, but Gargoyle doesn't support that. Oh well.) Set each Destination IP criteria to the new Service Class/Throttle Level created in Step One. Add Rule.

3) Use the arrows to move all those Destination IP Classification Rules up to the top of the criteria listings, because we want those to get matched first.

4) Save Changes.

Once complete, you have throttled each individual IP address' download speed. Works like a charm.

[NG]Owner

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

Yes, it definitely works using just QoS, that's how I throttle some of my devices as well. I guess using Quotas for this purpose makes it somewhat easier to maintain if you're working with a lot of devices, or devices group (as it supports IP range). Not my case though.
NGowner wrote:I tried doing this as well using quotas, but it had the unintended consequence of forcing a quota page to load once the quota was breached. Created some confusion in the house, as our Internet is unlimited. I just wanted to limit bandwidth.
Such behavior is expected when you have "When exceeded" field set to "Shutdown All Internet Access". Make sure you always set it to "Throttle Bandwidth", and then point to the desired QoS classes. Should work without a problem.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

Donwhale

Post by Donwhale »

Is it possible to implement bursting with bandwidth throttling in Gargoyle. I'm looking at the possibility of allowing burst for a few seconds so that pages can load faster. I have ordered for a TP link Archer C7.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Burst is technically already part of the QoS algorithm in Gargoyle, it just isn't configurable.
Other than that, not without a good understanding of the firewall and TC.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Donwhale

Post by Donwhale »

Thanks for your response. So for example, if I create QoS to limit download to 1Mbps, what is the allowable burst, and burst time based on Gargoyle algorithm?

Does the same burst algorithm apply to bandwidth limit when Quota is exceeded?
Lantis wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:46 pm
Burst is technically already part of the QoS algorithm in Gargoyle, it just isn't configurable.
Other than that, not without a good understanding of the firewall and TC.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I'll have to admit that i'm a little out of my depth on this topic. I went through the process of understanding it about 12 months ago and a lot of it has left my head.

The underlying algorithm in use is HFSC.
https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/tc-hfsc.7.html
You can read about the guiding principles there.

From a quick refresher read of it, under the maximum limit scenario you are talking about, Gargoyle is not bursty. This is using the UL (upperlimit) part of HFSC.
This also applies to your question about quotas as they use the same mechanism.

For completeness (and to clarify my previous answer), Gargoyle is bursty under the minimum limit scenario. This uses a combination of the LS (linkshare) and RT (realtime) components of HFSC.
Gargoyle allows a burst of twice the limit for 2ms, and then settles. This allows the traffic to come up to speed rapidly and then settle in a fully congested scenario.
Of course when the link is not under congestion, a lot of these parts do not come into play at all.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.