75 Mbps

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

twf85

Re: 75 Mbps

Postby twf85 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:07 am

NGowner wrote:No. Nothing is turned off. I also do not have quotas or QOS turned on. This is a more or less a default install of Gargoyle.

That's interesting. I wonder if the penalty only occurs for devices/IPs that have a quota in place? I was under the impression that the BWMonitor would carry that penalty regardless of Quotas/QoS utilization.

I ordered a certified refurbished WRT3200ACM from Linksys yesterday, so I should be clear of the penalty soon. I may order a Linksys 1200AC, or pick one up locally on the cheap via Craigslist, for a friend that wants to setup a VPN enabled router.

I am extremely curious to see what the throughput differences are between the "top" Gargoyle routers, with BWMonitor on and Quotas enabled, as well as a VPN configured with a provider like PIA. Because the ISPs in the USA are all starting to cap data usage, and can now sell our browsing history to whomever they please, I imagine solutions like Gargoyle are going to become more popular. If those numbers were available for at least the "top" routers (within the table on the Supported Devices page, alongside CPU/RAM/Flash info), it would help people make an informed decision about what router they would need to get the most out of their Broadband connection.

EDIT 1
Picked up a WRT1200AC v1 and it is capable of saturating my connection. Line rated at 150Mbit and speedtests are showing between 170-180Mbit.

IanBlakeley

Postby IanBlakeley » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:18 am

Thanks for the tip, can confirm turning off the monitor ups my connection from 75Mbps to the expected 100Mbps TL-WDR 3600v1

fifonik

Postby fifonik » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Lantis wrote:bwmon will get your speed back. But you will lose graphs

It would be nice to have an option in UI to disable the bwmon :)

Lantis

Postby Lantis » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:31 pm

That would be counter productive to most of the features in Gargoyle.
Faster routers are coming out where this is less of an issue.
Faster internet is coming which makes it an issue again.

For now the fact that people can manually work around this seems good enough for me.
WRT1900AC V1 on 1.10.X
WNDR3800/WRT3200ACM in a constant state of flux
www.lantisproject.com for custom builds and other projects
www.lantisproject.com/gargoyle_ispyisail/ for the latest releases

Return to “Network / Wireless Issues”