WAN ip address not renewed 1.3.10

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

1an

Re: WAN ip address not renewed 1.3.10

Post by 1an »

thanks.

At the time problems occurred, I could not access the internet with firefox, and pinging the ip address of the gateway gave an error message about destination being unreachable (I don't recall the exact message). As I recall it was about halfway through a 24 hour lease, so it appears that the problem is not with lease renewal, but something wrong with WAN access even though the lease is still current (the strange lease times displayed must not be the underlying cause, as you have said)

currently running 1.3.9, has been up for > 24 hours without problems.

I will try again with 1.3.10. When it falls over, I will confirm that pinging the gateway does not work, and run route. I will post the results.

Is it worth implementing your suggestion to disable rdate at the same time? or should I get the output of route (after WAN access appears to go down) first, then disable rdate?

Ian
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH = Gargoyle 1.5.3
Linksys WRT54GL v1.2 = Gargoyle 1.3.13
SMC Barricade SMC2804WBRP-G = SMC firmware v2.08

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

The destination unreachable message indicates a problem in the routing table. So if you get into this state again run 'ping <gatewayIP>' and then 'traceroute <gatewayIP>' and finally 'route" and post the results.

It would also be interesting to compare the 'route' output on 1.3.9, the 'route' output on 1.3.10 and the 'route' output when it stops working on 1.3.10. There should be a difference.

I think I would rename rdate as I suggested first.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

1an

Post by 1an »

@pbix: I think I may have found the source of the strange date 1/1/1970 seen on my router.

I have since discovered that my motorola cable modem has a (limited) browser-accessed setup page. Looking at the logs, the modem appears to lose current time after a power cycle, and takes about 5 minutes to reacquire the correct time. During this interval, the times/date shown in the modem's log page start from 00:00 1/1/1970! If router is connected during this time, it seems to get the timestamp for the DHCP lease from the modem, rather than using its own time (which does not seem to be lost with a reboot/power cycle)

Does this make sense?

also see post on Restriction Rules: loss of WAN access with 1.3.10 may have been related to a change in the way Restrictions work with last two versions of Gargoyle. If so, sorry to have sent you off on a goose chase :?

Ian

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

DHCP renew timestamps come from the DHCP server. If your modem does not have the correct time when it dishes the lease then it seems likely to me to cause an issue. What comes from the modem is the IP address along with the renew time.

At bootup Gargoyle does not have the correct system time either. What it does is to start the WAN link and request the time via NTP.

Once Gargoyle has its own time it should be comparing to the lease expiration time. Since this time is 1/1/1970 as you say then an immediate renew request should be generated I would think.

Seems pretty lame to me that your modem does not get the time correct before it dishes the lease. Maybe you can update the firmware on it. The other solution might be a cron job that runs the kill command I gave you earlier. This would force a new lease after the modem has properly initialized.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

1an

Post by 1an »

My problem has been (mostly) solved, but probably not in ways that are generally applicable to others, so I just let this thread die ...

If you are offering help, my thanks, but see above!

If you have a similar problem, I'm not sure what your question is ...

Ian