Gargoyle wireless settings

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

newtogarg

Gargoyle wireless settings

Post by newtogarg »

I'm having this slight concern about Gargoyle. I've noticed that when I set the wireless channel to '1', after a few hours, I can see that the channel has changed from '1' to '1 + 5'. I can see that it has changed to 1+5 when I run applications like inSSIDer and the NetGear Smart Wireless Wizard.

This also happens with the Transmit Power. I change this to the custom value '35' but it changed it self to "Max".

Can anyone provide some insight? Is the firmware making automatic changes to as what it thinks is better?

DoesItMatter

Re: Gargoyle wireless settings

Post by DoesItMatter »

newtogarg wrote:I'm having this slight concern about Gargoyle. I've noticed that when I set the wireless channel to '1', after a few hours, I can see that the channel has changed from '1' to '1 + 5'. I can see that it has changed to 1+5 when I run applications like inSSIDer and the NetGear Smart Wireless Wizard.
You'll see that when you are in 40mhz mode - it always uses
two wireless channels for 40 mhz.
newtogarg wrote: This also happens with the Transmit Power. I change this to the custom value '35' but it changed it self to "Max".

Can anyone provide some insight? Is the firmware making automatic changes to as what it thinks is better?
There are hard-coded defaults as well that cannot be bypassed
without doing some extra stuff.

You may be putting in a value higher than allowed, so it defaults
to the maximum value allowed in the firmware.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

newtogarg

Post by newtogarg »

I had a feeling it was the 40mhz that was causing. Did some testing this morning and confirmed it before logging onto the forums just now.

Ah yes, I read about that. So what is the hardcoded max? Is it 16? 22?. Also if I download that regulatory.bin file, change the values in the file, will I then be able to get the full 35 transmit power?

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

newtogarg wrote:I had a feeling it was the 40mhz that was causing. Did some testing this morning and confirmed it before logging onto the forums just now.

Ah yes, I read about that. So what is the hardcoded max? Is it 16? 22?. Also if I download that regulatory.bin file, change the values in the file, will I then be able to get the full 35 transmit power?
according to this page (dd-wrt): http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3700
when you run 40MHz it is 22dBm for 2,4GHz an 24dBm for 5GHz
Router: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4
AP: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4

newtogarg

Post by newtogarg »

Hmmm...24dbm.

So that comes back to my question, is it possible, with the regulatory.bin file, that we go beyond this 24 value?

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

newtogarg wrote:Hmmm...24dbm.

So that comes back to my question, is it possible, with the regulatory.bin file, that we go beyond this 24 value?
Yes its possible

You run into 2 issues though

1) increase signal strength increases receive sensitivity as well
that means that you could have a VERY noisy incoming signal

2) increasing the output signal too much can destroy the radio chip
probably not right away, but it will definitely shorten the life

I've experienced problem #1 first hand... its not pretty!
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400