60% slower dl speeds when going through router

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

2Tall

60% slower dl speeds when going through router

Post by 2Tall »

On my TP-Link WDR3600 v1 running 1.8.1, the speeds are approximately 60% faster (112Mbps vs 180Mbps) when I bypass the router. QOS is disabled. Other connected devices include network printer, VOIP adapter and cell phone. All of which are idle.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ispyisail

Re: 60% slower dl speeds when going through router

Post by ispyisail »

yep, known problem

CPU just not fast enough these days

tapper

Post by tapper »

CTF (Hardwair NAT) is what explains why most third party firmwares (such as DD-WRT) tend to have lower throughput than manufacturer stock firmwares. For people with average (North American levels there) WAN rates of 10-100 Mbps, this is not an issue. Any additional feature will come at no real cost on maximum throughput. But for our more fortunate oversea friends who get 100-1000 Mbits link speeds, CTF is virtually essential.

Due to the nature of its closed-sourceness, and also the fact that many advanced features do not work with CTF enabled, this is why most third party firmwares such as DD-WRT or OpenWRT don't support CTF.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/broadc ... ion.18144/
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

2Tall

Post by 2Tall »

Thank you very much for the very informative replies. I guess I now need the procedure for going back to the latest stock firmware in order that I can better utilize the higher bandwidth that I'm paying for each month. I recall reading somewhere that I can't simply flash directly back to stock.

danymarc

Post by danymarc »

Download the bin for your router and version from here http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=revert
Factory default router, then from interface Sysrem/upgrade firmware to
Stock

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi if you feel brave you could try overclocking your router. There is a hi risk of a brick if you don't get it rite though.

https://aspiregemstone.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... r4300.html

I did this to my 3600 that is me in the comments. The 3600's CPU is 560 MHZ stock I clocked mine up to 680 MHZ I did not run any bench marks to prove just how fast it is though. It's bin running fine since may 2015 24 7
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

2Tall

Post by 2Tall »

Thanks for the info on reverting back to stock and for overclocking. I took the lesser risk and reverted.

When I am able to obtain a router with faster hardware, I'll probably be back. That's why last time I added something , albeit small, to the tip jar.

Thanks, everyone.