Adblock Plugin

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

Lantis

Adblock Plugin

Post by Lantis »

Adblock Plugin - 1.1.2

This works exactly the same as most DNS based adblocking scripts, except that it provides a frontend for configuration. The ad blocking list updates itself every Sunday at 4:00am.

Please provide feedback/bug reports in this thread.

Install
- Refresh plugins
- Install "DNS adblocking support for Gargoyle"

Updating
To update the plugin, first uninstall it, then install the new version.
- Add the following as a feed in your System->Plugins page

Code: Select all

http://lantisproject.com/gargoyle_plugins
Version hosted by Gargoyle: 1.0.4
Version hosted by Lantis: 1.1.2
Language files hosted by Gargoyle: 1.0.4
Language files hosted by Lantis: 1.1.2 (Updated language required for 1.1.0 plugin. Also new language FRENCH. Also better translation for German).

Verify the plugin is operating correctly
Visit the page: http://ads-blocker.com/testing/
If you can't see any ads, you're good to go. If you are seeing ads, your computer may be loading a cached version of the site which includes the ads. Try clearing your cache (CTRL+F5 refresh the page).

Blacklist
Used to add sites to the block.list that are not already included.

Whitelist
Used to remove sites from the block.list. NOTE: The white list will ONLY remove items that are ALREADY ON the block.list. If they aren't on the list, don't bother white listing them.

Changelog

Version 1.1.2
- Updated Russian translation (thanks @wildrat)

Version 1.1.1
- Updated German translation (thanks @petbrau)
- Fixed Tor checking logic. Now works correctly for users who don't have Tor plugin installed at all.
- Added some additional behind the scenes logging entries to make debugging easier in the future

Version 1.1.0
- Added GUI for interfacing with the block, black and white lists
- Added transparentpixel.gif file to the plugin so we no longer need to retrieve it from a remote source
- Reworked plugin so that it installs to "/plugin_root/". This means that the plugin installation will now respect the use of external usb storage automatically.
- REMOVED: legacy web server support (httpd_gargoyle)
- REMOVED: wireless_only capability, gargoyle bridges the wifi and lan networks causing this functionality to break. If someone has an idea for fixing it, i am happy to add it back.
- DROPPED: support for Gargoyle Versions < 1.9.0. If you are still using one of these versions, please use plugin version < 1.0.4

Version 1.0.4
- BUGFIX: Fixed incompatability with the DDNS plugin

Version 1.0.3
- BUGFIX: Fixed incompatability with the Tor plugin
- Fixed localisation strings for ZH-CN and RU

Version 1.0.2
- Fixed localisation strings for time of last update (Thanks Obsy) and PL language file
- BUGFIX: Crash on small memory devices (minor change to how the ad list is retrieved, now uses half the space during setup). End result is still the same. Not a necessary update if you weren't experiencing any problems previously.

Version 1.0.1
- Added German, Norwegian, Polish, Russian and Spanish translations
- Added documentation for how to use the black/whitelist functionality (front end for this will be in a future release)
- Added documentation about how to test the plugin is functioning correctly
- BUGFIX: Workaround for browser based ad-blocking plugins detecting this plugin as malicious, breaking the plugin (Thanks Eric).

Version 1.0
- Initial release
To Do

- Better Tor workaround
- Better exemptions implementation. Probably needs a change to the underlying gargoyle implementation though
Known Issues

- YouTube videos sometimes won't play with Transparent pixel option enabled. This is because of the way YouTube serves their ads. If you find this becomes a problem consider disabling the option. 
Manual Uninstall of Plugin
So you want to uninstall the plugin, but clicking uninstall in the GUI does nothing?
  • 1. disable the Adblock plugin (use the GUI, untick the enabled box on the Adblock configuration page and save changes)
  • 2. navigate to /plugin_root/usr/lib/opkg/info/plugin-gargoyle-adblock.list
    every file listed in that file is related to the plugin and should be deleted.
  • 3. execute the post-removal script from the same folder
    "sh /plugin_root/usr/lib/opkg/info/plugin-gargoyle-adblock.postrm"
  • 4. remove all the files from /plugin_root/usr/lib/opkg/info related to plugin-gargoyle-adblock
  • 5. open the status file at /plugin_root/usr/lib/opkg and remove the entry for adblock. If it is the only entry, save it as a blank file, do not delete it.

You should now no longer have the adblock plugin in the GUI, and if you check the plugin list it should be listed as uninstalled.
I'd like to thank Teffalump for the back end code and for allowing me to modify it to suit Gargoyle. You can find his work here

I'd also like to thank StopSpazzing for his help in working on the UI. Whilst I was busy he made significant progress which allowed me to quickly implement the required changes.

Thanks go out to all of the people who help in translating this plugin.

Click to see fullsize
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

tapper

Re: Adblock Plugin

Post by tapper »

wo! dude sooper cool thanks.

I will help test wen it's ready.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

+1

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

double plus good
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

This is amazing!
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

I wonder if the adBlocker plugin would sit more comfortably under the Firewall or Connection sections than the System section of the Gargoyle GUI?
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

edu

Post by edu »

w00000t! Thank you Lantis!!! :ugeek:

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

nworbnhoj wrote:I wonder if the adBlocker plugin would sit more comfortably under the Firewall or Connection sections than the System section of the Gargoyle GUI?
Great suggestion!
I think the firewall is a better place for it.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Yeah think it wood make sence under firewall to
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Compiled the plugin tonight. Then discovered a small error that caused a big problem.
will hopefully have a release for tomorrow :)