[TIP] TP-Link - Back to original firmware - simple steps.

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

melquiferreira
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:14 am

[TIP] TP-Link - Back to original firmware - simple steps.

Post by melquiferreira »

To return to original firmware (uninstall Gargoyle) - Tested with TP-Link WR741ND:


1: Download latest firmware from tp-link
(with "boot" in its name, ex.: "wr741nv4_en_3_16_6_up_boot(130524).bin").

2: Download a app called "winscp517".

3: Download a app called "putty".

4: With "winscp", login (SCP mode) as:


hostname: 192.168.1.1 (or one you configured in connection - lan)

username: root

password: (if you have created in gargoyle or default "password")


and copy the firmware file to "tmp" folder (rename to orig.bin before).


5. Open PuTTY as SSH to 192.168.1.1 and perform the following commands:

cd tmp

dd if=orig.bin of=tplink.bin skip=257 bs=512

mtd -r write /tmp/tplink.bin firmware



and wait until flash complete!

fernandogazapina
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: [TIP] TP-Link - Back to original firmware - simple steps

Post by fernandogazapina »

Thanks for your post!!
Works perfect!
:D

tehpensfan
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:35 am

Re: [TIP] TP-Link - Back to original firmware - simple steps

Post by tehpensfan »

melquiferreira wrote:To return to original firmware (uninstall Gargoyle) - Tested with TP-Link WR741ND:

1: Download latest firmware from tp-link
(with "boot" in its name, ex.: "wr741nv4_en_3_16_6_up_boot(130524).bin").

2: Download a app called "winscp517".

3: Download a app called "putty".

4: With "winscp", login (SCP mode) as:
hostname: 192.168.1.1 (or one you configured in connection - lan)
username: root
password: (if you have created in gargoyle or default "password")
and copy the firmware file to "tmp" folder (rename to orig.bin before).

5. Open PuTTY as SSH to 192.168.1.1 and perform the following commands:

cd tmp

dd if=orig.bin of=tplink.bin skip=257 bs=512

mtd -r write /tmp/tplink.bin firmware



and wait until flash complete!


I've executed this procedure on:
it worked perfectly.

Thanks!
-
1 x WRT54GL v1.1 Gargoyle 1.5.6
1 x TL-WR740N v4.23 Gargoyle 1.6.2
1 x TL-WR740N v4.26 Gargoyle 1.5.11
1 x TL-WR740N v4.26 Gargoyle 1.8.1
1 x TL-WDR3600 v1.3 Gargoyle 1.5.11

danymarc
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: [TIP] TP-Link - Back to original firmware - simple steps

Post by danymarc »

melquiferreira wrote:To return to original firmware (uninstall Gargoyle) with TP-Link WR741NDV4

or download wr741nv4_en_3_12_11_up(120320).bin from here ftp://tplink-forum.pl/orgin_bez_boot/ back to stock from web-ui

FRN
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:41 am

Re: [TIP] TP-Link - Back to original firmware - simple steps

Post by FRN »

Hi, I'm new to all this and I did everything as stated but when I type dd if=orig.bin of=tplink.bin skip=257 bs=512 on putty. It says no such file or directory. What should I do?

danymarc
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: [TIP] TP-Link - Back to original firmware - simple steps

Post by danymarc »

FRN wrote:but when I type dd if=orig.bin of=tplink.bin skip=257 bs=512 on putty. It says no such file or directory. What should I do?

You should only cut a firmware if you are using a firmware with boot
You never posted router brand, model and Ver. This links you to cutted files you can skip cutting step if you find your file here ftp://tplink-forum.pl/orgin_bez_boot/
2 Download and install WinSCP (http://winscp.net);
4 Download putty (http://www.putty.org/)
5 On WinSCP:
5.1 Select New Site;
5.2 File protocol: SCP;
5.3 Hostname: 192.168.1.1 (or your router IP);
5.4 Username: root
5.5 Password: your admin pass
5.6 Drag downloaded firmware from Download folder and drop in /tmp
5.7 (Important, I think...) On Transfer Settings, select Binary
5.8 Transfer;
6 On putty;
6.1 Login on 192.168.1.1 (user root and pass);
6.2 Type:
cd /tmp (Enter)
mtd -r write /tmp/tplink.bin firmware (Enter)
Note: Use at your own risk.

asz
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: [TIP] TP-Link - Back to original firmware - simple steps

Post by asz »

Worked perfectly on both tl-wr740n & tl-wr741nd....

But when attempted on TL-WR841N it showed

BUS ERROR

and after that the router keeps on rebooting within a second (all the LEDs keeps on glowing within a second).

PLEASE :!: Help Out Here
Last edited by asz on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 9 times in total.

asz
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: [TIP] TP-Link - Back to original firmware - simple steps

Post by asz »

FRN wrote:Hi, I'm new to all this and I did everything as stated but when I type dd if=orig.bin of=tplink.bin skip=257 bs=512 on putty. It says no such file or directory. What should I do?


firstly get out of root by:

cd ..

then

cd tmp

dd if=orig.bin of=tplink.bin skip=257 bs=512

mtd -r write /tmp/tplink.bin firmware

User avatar
Doky
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:36 am
Location: Hungary
Contact:

Re: [TIP] TP-Link - Back to original firmware - simple steps

Post by Doky »

melquiferreira wrote:To return to original firmware (uninstall Gargoyle) - Tested with TP-Link WR741ND:


1: Download latest firmware from tp-link
(with "boot" in its name, ex.: "wr741nv4_en_3_16_6_up_boot(130524).bin").

2: Download a app called "winscp517".

3: Download a app called "putty".

4: With "winscp", login (SCP mode) as:


hostname: 192.168.1.1 (or one you configured in connection - lan)

username: root

password: (if you have created in gargoyle or default "password")


and copy the firmware file to "tmp" folder (rename to orig.bin before).


5. Open PuTTY as SSH to 192.168.1.1 and perform the following commands:

cd tmp

dd if=orig.bin of=tplink.bin skip=257 bs=512

mtd -r write /tmp/tplink.bin firmware



and wait until flash complete!


Hi!

Work 1043ND V2?
>>>>> Doky <<<<<
Router: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND v2.1 (Gargoyle 1.9)
NAS server: Zyxel NSA-310 (Western Digital Red 1TB)

dmahaur
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:49 pm

Re: [TIP] TP-Link - Back to original firmware - simple steps

Post by dmahaur »

Thanks, my ISP changed some settings and I could not logon to PPPoE without a service name. Used this thread to get back to my original firmware.

Router: TP Link Model No. TL-WR740N / TL-WR740ND
Version: 4.27
Used firmware: wr740nv4_en_3_17_0_up_boot(150105).bin

on Putty used chdir instead of cd
Also, had to come out of root.. so the following commands used

chdir ..
chdir tmp
dd if=orig.bin of=tplink.bin skip=257 bs=512
mtd -r write /tmp/tplink.bin firmware


Worked like a charm.

Post Reply