Allow Channels 12,13,14 based on country (*MOD*)

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

marrco

Re: Allow Channels 12,13,14 based on country (*MOD*)

Post by marrco »

Why don't we just prepare an already modified image? SO we don't have the need to manually run the hack, nor we run the risk of not having enough space available? Let's say that our version defaults to a very liberal country. And the user is free to set a more restrictive rule.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You could do that yourself lol...
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Adri

Post by Adri »

ispyisail wrote:Based on other posts Eric dose not like these hacks?
However they are still needed for non US users.
Manufacturers often don't specify the right country code in their firmware, leaving non US users with no other option to correctly use the frequencies allowed in their country.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

From my understanding......

Eric likes things legal and above board. I think this was some doubt if some of these hacks are legal?

marrco

Post by marrco »

Lantis wrote:You could do that yourself lol...
I'm glad you enjoyed and lol'd at my post. I never compiled gargoyle, and that seemed to me a good different default. And it would be up to the user to use those channels or not. Maybe i do not fully understand the intent of that hack, but Channels 12 and 13 are legal in most of world. Including where i live.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I meant no offence if that's what you are worried about.

Each of these firmwares is a "best effort" approach. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Sometimes you need to grab one and modify it to suit your particular needs.

To address your idea of "leaving it up to the end user", this doesn't work on a practical level.
You seem to be well informed on these channels, and that's great. But Joe Bloggs who isn't may enable those channels without ill intention, and therefore be in breach of some local laws.
It would be an unconscionable act to release a piece of software which allowed someone to break a law (intentional or otherwise).

I have not examined this particular patch, but they are generally very easy to include in builds. You just drop them in a folder and the build process takes care of the rest.
If you want to try building your own firmware I'd be happy to point you in the right direction to at least get you started, but I have no experience with this particular patch and no interest in it sorry.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

marrco

Post by marrco »

Lantis wrote: I have not examined this particular patch, but they are generally very easy to include in builds. You just drop them in a folder and the build process takes care of the rest.
If you want to try building your own firmware I'd be happy to point you in the right direction to at least get you started, but I have no experience with this particular patch and no interest in it sorry.
Hi Lantis,
i've seen this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6953&p=28497 and http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok ... umentation and it looks like i can just start a VM and build for my target router.

afaik the reghack to use all channels is available here as an elf
http://luci.subsignal.org/~jow/reghack/README.txt
with source code here http://luci.subsignal.org/~jow/reghack/reghack.c

but the generic patches folder i found on gargoyle-master seem to use a diff format. I guess it would be smarter to simply use already-patched files, but i have no idea where to include those. So any help is appreciated

About the legal issue i think that apart from US most countries allow chan 12 and 13, but most have lower dBm limits. And typing 'iw list' on my router shows 30 dBm, so if i understand correct it's already up to the user to stay legal in his country with gargoyle.

For me the issue is that using reghack.elf is not possibile because i'm on a TP-LINK 841nd that among other issues (i suppose even EU version have a wrong firmware chan 12-13-14 block, that's lifted/ignored via original tplink firmware) very little space. So I just run the 'hack' in /tmp, moved the patched files to my disk and i'll try to rebuild an image for my target on a VM.

In case that I succeed i'll write a small howto, if mods allow me.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I haven't dug into the config files yet to find the right one, but I believe it's in the 80211 folder.
Do some kind of grep search fir the line "CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD is not set". Uncomment that line and change it to, "CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD=y".
Do your build as normal.

Once the router is running you can set your region by doing a "iw reg set" or adding a "country" option to /etc/config/wireless under the wifi device.

This is my understanding from a brief reading.

marrco

Post by marrco »

Lantis wrote:I haven't dug into the config files yet to find the right one, but I believe it's in the 80211 folder.
Do some kind of grep search fir the line "CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD is not set". Uncomment that line and change it to, "CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD=y".
Do your build as normal.

Once the router is running you can set your region by doing a "iw reg set" or adding a "country" option to /etc/config/wireless under the wifi device.

This is my understanding from a brief reading.
Thanks a lot Lantis. Been there, done that. It's easier than i thought to build your own image. Especially using a VPS.

I still have to fix some things, but at least i created the image and upgraded my router. And now iw list shows channel 12 and 13 available.

First of all the 2 files i had to modify for my tp-link 841nd were inside
gargoyle/targets/ar71xx/profiles/default and named .config (the one with the "CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD is not set" directive and -profile_images where i removed all routers but my target.

What's not working: Gargoyle interface is still not showing chan 12 and 13.

And i found something else really strange. On standard image, fresh flashed, iw list reports maximum power of 30dBm. Typing iw reg set (eu-country) don't allow chan 12 and 13 but just lower maximum power to 20dBm. Setting again to US gives back 30dBm. That's the expected behavior.
On my modded image, fresh installed, iw list show maximum 20dBm, even if iw reg get
country US: DFS-FCC
(2402 - 2472 @ 40), (N/A, 30), (N/A)
(5170 - 5250 @ 80), (N/A, 17), (N/A)
(5250 - 5330 @ 80), (N/A, 23), (0 ms), DFS
(5735 - 5835 @ 80), (N/A, 30), (N/A)
(57240 - 63720 @ 2160), (N/A, 40), (N/A)

do you know what am i missing here?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Alright we are pretty quickly driving out of my comfort zone and into the unknown haha but let's see how we go.

Glad you found it easy to do a build! And that's good information on which files to edit.

There's a section on the basic.sh page that checks for the driver and enables channel 12 and 13 to be selected. I'm guessing you're failing that check (though I don't know how to get around it).
But if you're comfortable, you can edit the /etc/config/wireless config file and try manually setting the channel. Note that if you do this, any subsequent changes you make in the gui on basic.sh will overwrite these settings, so make all your changes first and then manually set the channel.

Report back with your results, but if you're unsuccessful I'm out of ideas sorry!
As for the transmit power I'm stumped sorry mate.