Version 1.5.6

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

ispyisail

Re: Version 1.5.6

Post by ispyisail »

getting close now

this is from my vista machine

and from my XP machine (I cleared the cache before trying to login)

grtitan

Post by grtitan »

Hi Eric,

just installed this new version, in my WNDR3700v2, using the stock firmware's gui update tool and it is working 100%.

i removed all port forwarding entries and anything related.

Tried OVPN and is working great. The config file didn't need any modifications, even though Tunnelblick reports that some of the files are ignored.

I'm not having the mentioned browser issue, but then again, i only have it installed for around a day.

Once again, thanks for the hard work.!
Last edited by grtitan on Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wetwilly

Post by wetwilly »

Hello.

Let me start of by thanking you for your hard work on Gargoyle. It is an amazing firmware.

I tried out the new changes to OpenVPN and encountered a minor bug in the config parser when configuring OpenVPN as a client manually.

My OpenVPN server is running on pfSense as Peer 2 Peer with SSL + TLS Auth.

In order for Gargoyle to connect as a client with TLS + Auth it requires this config line:

tls-auth /etc/openvpn/grouter_client_xx_ta.key 1 (pay attention to the "1" at the end)

The link below explains what the extra number at the end is used for:
http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-sourc ... l#security

The bug arrives in how the parser handles the config line. The parser doesn't pay attention to anything added after .key and just adds a plain break, ignoring any number entered.

So in the config file it just ends up looking like:
tls-auth /etc/openvpn/grouter_client_xx_ta.key

I can edit the conf and add the 1 manually after webgui generated the file but that doesnt seem to solve the issue that webgui considered openvpn as failed.

If I launch openvpn with edited config from cli via ssh it will connect to my OpenVPN server and all will work but webgui will still show it as connected.

Also with config like mine OpenVPN would not connect manually after a reboot.
Fonera 2100 - Gargoyle 1.4.7 - Wifi AP
TP-Link WR 1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.7 - OpenVPN client
Linksys E4200 - Toastman Tomato v1.28.0499 - OpenVPN client
Virtual - pfSense 2.1 beta - OpenVPN Peer to Peer server (SSL/TLS-auth)

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Hi Eric

I done some tests and can confirm that I am also having the same problem as "yc3948" with OpenVPN and "Clients Use VPN For: all client traffic"

The remote client appears to have trouble accessing the internet through OpenVPN.

Gargoyle 1.5.6

client PC connects to OpenVPN just fine

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

ispyisail: I'm having trouble reproducing this. When I run traceroute I see the traffic going through the VPN server (e.g. 10.8.0.1), indicating that this is working. Can you try running traceroute from the client and let me know what it looks like?

wetwilly: Yup, you're right, good catch! Since it can use the key symmetrically if the direction parameter is omitted, and my code is omitting the parameter on both the server and client, the problem didn't show up in testing... but in order to use the key correctly we do need the parameter. I will fix this for the next version.

yc3948

Post by yc3948 »

See http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =14&t=2995
Eric wrote:ispyisail: I'm having trouble reproducing this. When I run traceroute I see the traffic going through the VPN server (e.g. 10.8.0.1), indicating that this is working. Can you try running traceroute from the client and let me know what it looks like?

wetwilly: Yup, you're right, good catch! Since it can use the key symmetrically if the direction parameter is omitted, and my code is omitting the parameter on both the server and client, the problem didn't show up in testing... but in order to use the key correctly we do need the parameter. I will fix this for the next version.
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (10/31/11) std
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH Gargoyle 1.5.9+1f082daf
Linksys WRT54GL Gargoyle 1.4.4
TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Gargoyle 1.5.9+1f082daf

Dik0j

Post by Dik0j »

Good work, but after updating it was very difficult to find password for my router... also wifi was not working after update. and now router is more loaded than at the 1.5.4
Please make menu to set different functions for top button.

Gargoyle -best!!!

malletto

Post by malletto »

Is anyone's wireless going up and down after updating to 1.5.6? Running it on a WNDR3700v1

virta

Post by virta »

Works fine on my WNDR3700v1.

SergeS

Post by SergeS »

ispyisail wrote:I agree there is something very wrong with 1.5.6

I've done a fresh upgrade to 1.5.6 (RSpro)

I can login into the router and it asks me to setup password and time zone but the setting don't stick, I just gets stuck in a loop.

I've done a factory install and still no luck

I've got another RSpro and it seamed to install 1.5.6 ok. Will double check on this
1) Yes, I have just made 1.4.3 (-NA) -> 1.4.7 -> 1.5.3 -> 1.5.4 -> 1.5.6
:-)) playing a halve an hour with each version. Everytning was good enough, except 1.5.6 - can not set time. So, I've rolled back to 1.5.4.
Router WNDR3700v2, tried browsers IE8 and Ghrome (no differences in time settings).

2) What is the situation with RF channels for wifi? On some firmwares i have 2.4GHz channels from 1 to 11, on some firmwares - 1 to 14.
On the 5GHz - chanels 120,124,128 are appear and disappear, depending on the firmware. Location - NA, (New York), first Garg version loaded was, as mentioned above, 1.4.3 with -NA, the rest are without -NA. As i have realised, channels 12,13,14 and 120,124,128 are illigal in NA, correct? :-)