Maximise Client mode Bandwidth

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

errikos

Maximise Client mode Bandwidth

Post by errikos »

I noticed that my client mode gargoyle routers perform less than what I was expecting.

For example, I have a 5G router that can provide 500Mbps download upload and 130Mbps upload when I connect a client directly to its hotspot.

When I use a client mode gargoyle TP-Link TL-WA801N/ND v2 and connect clients wired to it the most I can get is ~40Mbps up and down. The same for TP-Link TL-WA901N/ND v2

When I use a client mode gargoyle Pc Engines Wrap (really old) and connect clients wired to it the most I can get is ~4Mbps up and down!

1) I was expecting (kind of arbitrarily) that the TP-Link TL-WA801N/ND v2 could easily provide 100Mbps and the Wrap easily 50mbps. Are my expectations overly optimistic?

2) I am not using any complicated functionality, only Client mode NAT and DHCP. If I make a custom built of gargoyle with less functionality am I going to improve the bandwidth?

3) Any other performance suggestions?

Lantis

Re: Maximise Client mode Bandwidth

Post by Lantis »

You're being a little optimistic sorry. That CPU would be having a hernia.
You could claw back some performance with

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/bwmon_gargoyle stop
And make sure you don't have "enforce DHCP assignments" checked.

At best, it is going to do 150mbps wifi. The real throughput is going to be realistically 50-60% of that. So 40 isn't that far of the mark.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.