Archer c6 - storage full error

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

ondrahnilicka

Archer c6 - storage full error

Post by ondrahnilicka »

Hello.

I have TP-Link Archer C6 v2. There is the same error with small Flash memory as described here in the post: "Archer C60 storage full error" in this forum.
The router writes Storage Full Error in its web interface.

I downloaded sources of Gargoyle 1.13, change config file according to the post: "Problems with building an image"
and the problem persisted, so I again used menuconfig and clear another options like video for linux...more USB drivers, etc..then the firmware finaly fit into the memory, the error message dissapered.....

...but the firmware is broken, some buttons ond option in web interface are marked as "unknown", some buttons does not work (does nothing). Picture in attachment.

When I load "factory" firmware into the router via TFTP, I see this "unknown" buttons. When I load "sysupgrade" firmware via web interface, I see nowmal correct buttons, but there is the "storage full message". Both firmwares factory and sysupgrade are from the same build....so it should not be badly configured. It seems that when firmware fits into the memory, but on its upper boundary, the languages or some texts are shown badly.

"factory" has 7 572 114 B
"sysupgrade" has 7 602 969 B

Config file is also in attachment.

Any advice what to do in config file to get proper fw for Archer c6 v2? Maybe clear more options to get more free space in memory...? I don't know.

Thank you.

Ondrej

Lantis

Re: Archer c6 - storage full error

Post by Lantis »

Can you please provide the modified config file you used to attempt to build a smaller image?
Also do you have python installed in your build environment? Language files missing is often a sign of python not working.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ondrahnilicka

Post by ondrahnilicka »

Thank you for answer.

I have Python 3.8.10:

Cannot add config file to attachment, Iam getting "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

Ondrej

ondrahnilicka

Post by ondrahnilicka »

But imho the Python should be OK because the texts are shown correctly in "sysupgrade" firmware and missing in "factory" firmware only. And both fws are from the same build. The sysupgrade fw shows the storage full error (factory not). It really seems to be some memory issue which affects texts...if it is possible.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You can use pastebin for the config file.
If you think the problem is size, have you tried to reduce it further?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ondrahnilicka

Post by ondrahnilicka »

Okay, I put it here: pastebin.com/26n7UC6H
I tried to reduce it further and uncheck some color themes in config file....but I got the same size again .

So I don't know what other options I can uncheck now to get smaller .bin file.

Another idea: Is possible to resolder the Flash memory chip inside the router with a bigger version? I'm able to do this, also find a compatible version of the chip. But the question is, will it work? Kernel measures the size of the memory every startup or is it set in BSP (or somewhere) and needs to be set before compilation?

Ondrej

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Nothing stands out.
Try
Replace:
CONFIG_KERNEL_KALLSYMS=y
CONFIG_KERNEL_DEBUG_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_KERNEL_DEBUG_INFO=y
# CONFIG_STRIP_KERNEL_EXPORTS is not set
# CONFIG_USE_MKLIBS is not set
CONFIG_TARGET_SQUASHFS_BLOCK_SIZE=256
with:
# CONFIG_KERNEL_KALLSYMS is not set
# CONFIG_KERNEL_DEBUG_KERNEL is not set
# CONFIG_KERNEL_DEBUG_INFO is not set
CONFIG_STRIP_KERNEL_EXPORTS=y
CONFIG_USE_MKLIBS=y
CONFIG_TARGET_SQUASHFS_BLOCK_SIZE=1024

There are penalties to all of these, but it should make a smaller image.

ondrahnilicka

Post by ondrahnilicka »

Hello.

Okay, I built two firmwares. First with my previous changes and your changes in config file and second with your changes only (your changes in original config file).

Both firmwares are small enough to fit and the "Storage full" error does not appear. But both firmwares shows the "unknown" buttons. So I really don't know. It seems like more complicated problem than only the memory size. It seems that Archer C6 v2 needs some special handling. And I mention again that when "Storage full" message is shown, the button texts are correct...but it is unusable because of the volatility of settings.

I'll try to get any other type of router....maybe Archer c7 (it seems to be more common and tested).

In every case, thank you for your support.

Ondrej

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I’ll build one today for your router using the default config and my suggested size changes and you can test if the buttons are fine.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Can you try the image from here please and let me know if you're getting the button issue?
https://lantisproject.com/gargoyle_cust ... izeshrink/