Should I turn on default QoS?

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

smoke_15

Should I turn on default QoS?

Post by smoke_15 »

My connection bandwidth is far more than what the router (archer c7 running 1.12) can serve but was curious if it's still worth turning on default QoS. My max upload is 10Mbps so I've got it on in the upload direction. For the downloads, i connected my laptop directly to the modem (wired) and got 380Mbps. I then connected directly to the archer ports and got 160Mbps. Wifi 5g (40Mhz channel) can't seem to get past 120Mbps due to neighbors using 80Mhz channels.
Ive got QoS turned off on the Download side since I'll never max out the pipe but am curious if the ACC and default QoS will improve performance.

Lantis

Re: Should I turn on default QoS?

Post by Lantis »

They will lower max throughput to maintain excellent latency conditions.
You’ll probably top out at 100mbps with it on if I had to guess.

It’s really a situation of try it and see. Everyone’s connection is going to behave slightly differently.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

smoke_15

Post by smoke_15 »

I figured the same thing, a tradeoff between bandwidth and latency. Ran some tests with it on and it caps off at 55Mbps. For me though I'll definitely keep it on since I've got lots of users who stream while I work remote so need it to be responsive for things like video calls.
I'll get one of the supported marvell armada chipset routers if I need the bandwidth later on. From reading the threads, those routers seem to be reasonably priced for the performance.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Just be aware of wifi compatibility issues with those devices. They make excellent routers, but pretty woeful APs.
You’d actually do well to get one cheaply and then use your existing archer as the access point. Let them both do what they do best as individuals.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi I got rid of my wrt3200acm and swopped it for a r7800 because of the flaky wifi. I don't know how well Gargoyle runs on the r7800 tho mate.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

smoke_15

Post by smoke_15 »

Any recommendations on the top 5 routers for gargoyle? Ive had good experiences with the archer c7 and the buffalo wzr. Both are around 10 years old though, would be great to know what to replace them with if they ever died. Something as solid as those, just with faster clocks would be great.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

@Lantis what router are you using?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Currently a Netgear R7800. It’s not as fast as the linksys WRT routers, but the wifi is much nicer. That being said, it crashes every now and then and I’m sure that is wifi related (haven’t caught it in the act yet).

Mediatek are the way to go long term.
I have a Belkin RT3200 waiting for full support.

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

Lantis wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:02 pm
Currently a Netgear R7800. ... That being said, it crashes every now and then and I’m sure that is wifi related (haven’t caught it in the act yet).
Is this with your development builds or 1.13.x? If the former there appear to be some issues with the frequency scaling in the 5.x kernels which might be alleviated by raising the minimum clock frequency to 600MHz or 800MHz (a quicker check is just to enable the performance governor though).

Might also be related to the ct vs non-ct WiFi firmware/drivers too.
Lantis wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:02 pm
I have a Belkin RT3200 waiting for full support.
Were you able to get that locally or is it an import?

I picked up a TP-Link A6 v3 fairly inexpensively with an eye to future support, though that's not in the same league as your Belkin...

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Import :)

The R7800 is on both 1.15 and 1.13 having crashes. I saw the chatter around the frequency scaler. I've enabled ramoops and i'm waiting to catch it in the act (it is being stubbornly stable)