The future of Gargoyle in 2022

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

ispyisail

The future of Gargoyle in 2022

Post by ispyisail »

Hi all

I have wondered about the future of Gargoyle

Open source for success requires (a) A community of volunteers (b) Product that people what to use.

In my opinion to a certain extent (a) and (b) feed of each other. If people are using your product it can be motivational.

I suspect the usage of Gargoyle has gone down over recent times?

I suspect the primary reason(s) for this is

(a) Compatible routers are hard to find
(b) Internet speeds can be limited by the router
(c) Firmware upgrade between version is difficult.

??

ektus

Re: The future of Gargoyle in 2022

Post by ektus »

(c) has prevented me from updating for a long time now, but I'm still running all compatible routers with Gargoyle. I simply like the interface and ease of use, and currently can get by without IP V6 and the main router (Archer C7) is fast enough.

When buying a new router I generally don't consider devices that can't run open source (Gargoyle or otherwise). Same with phones, I want to use them for a long time and don't want to scrap them just because the vendor says so.

One of my internal devices currently reports an uptime of 6 years :-)

Code: Select all

Gargoyle Version:1.7.X (Built 20150519-0919 git@8a8363f) 
 Model:TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v2 
 Uptime:2192 days, 10 hours, 26 minutes 
 Current Date & Time:2022-01-05 20:22 CET 

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

For me personally, I still prefer gargoyle to regular OpenWrt, so I’ll keep maintaining it, even if it’s only for my own use.

If it were to progress at all or make large leaps and bounds, it needs more than me.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Lantis wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:09 pm
For me personally, I still prefer gargoyle to regular OpenWrt, so I’ll keep maintaining it, even if it’s only for my own use.

If it were to progress at all or make large leaps and bounds, it needs more than me.
+1

The facts of the matter Lantis, if you were not maintaining the project would dead.

Thank you

p.s. I just tried openwrt for a feature that I needed. The GUI is still underwhelming.

Knomax

Post by Knomax »

Will be any other version like stable 1.13....1.14 etc?
Openwrt change the architecture it uses now it has DSA..how to merge Gargoyle now with Openwrt?
I think somehow Gargoyle "stuck" for a long time...no new functions..i understand that some of them can't be run in any router that has not enough "power"..just in case user can have the choice to enable them or not depending from his router.

Firmware for only wired routers...Edgerouter x etc can run Openwrt and can be flashed with Gargoyle...but Gargoyle firmware has Wifi function even in firmware for Edgerouter X....i dont if it runs smooth...when i flashed it in my Edgerouter X it seems that etc QOS doesnt work very well even if Edgerouter x has more "power" than my Tp-Link WR1043nd V3.

Any improvement etc in QOS??

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I’ve already rewritten the basic functions required to support DSA in a new version.
I have no experience using the ERX but if you want to start another thread showing some details around the wifi problem I can take a look.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

Hope the DSA transition doesn't get too messy - there are still a fair few high profile architectures without DSA support in OpenWrt 21.02 (e.g. ipq806x). Hopefully OpenWrt 22.xx will reduce this burden and clean up some of the initial DSA issues (e.g. only 1 CPU connected switch port on SoCs with 2 such as mvebu).

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Mixed DSA wasn't too hard to manage.
22.xx will bring its own massive hurdle, firewall4.
This migrates to nftables from iptables and creates a massive recoding effort across the whole of Gargoyle. The compatibility layer may be able to be used in the short term to convert commands, but bandwidth monitoring, qos etc all need complete rewrites.

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

Lantis wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:49 pm
Mixed DSA wasn't too hard to manage.
8-)
Lantis wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:49 pm
22.xx will bring its own massive hurdle, firewall4.
This migrates to nftables from iptables and creates a massive recoding effort across the whole of Gargoyle.
I'd overlooked the implications of firewall4 and nftables, possibly because I hadn't really appreciated that Gargoyle has been leveraging firewall3 heavily. :oops:

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi thanks for keeping Gargoyle alive. Where can I find the latest build?
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260