Experimental build of Gargoyle 1.13.0.x for mt76x8 architecture routers (ramips subtargets)

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

pythonic

Experimental build of Gargoyle 1.13.0.x for mt76x8 architecture routers (ramips subtargets)

Post by pythonic »

Download archive: download from Github

The archives contain the images and packages generated from experimental mt76x8 target configurations, as subtargets of the ramips target, for Gargoyle 1.13.0.x.

The source was from Gargoyle's git repository master branch at commit 4f6e9c33, which currently picks up the last commit to the OpenWrt 19.07 branch.

The supported MT76x8 devices were originally split into two subtargets based on flash size (8MB flash: mt76x8, 16MB flash: mt76x8_large) however build #2 has merged building all devices into one profile.

The 8MB flash devices are configured for minimal built-in Gargoyle functionality except for the addition of USB networking to support 4G/LTE modems etc so that the TP-Link TL-WR902AC v3 travel router can be used with minimal extra effort.

The 16MB+ flash devices are configured for a fairly complete set of Gargoyle functionality.

Supported devices - 8MB flash:
  • TP-Link C20 v4
  • TP-Link C50 v3
  • TP-Link_C50 v4
  • TP-Link TL-MR3020 v3
  • TP-Link TL-MR3420 v5
  • TP-Link TL-WA801nd v5
  • TP-Link TL-WR802n v4
  • TP-Link TL-WR840n v4
  • TP-Link TL-WR841n v13
  • TP-Link TL-WR842n v5
  • TP-Link TL-WR902ac v3 (tested)
Supported devices - 16MB+ flash:
  • GL.Inet GL-MT300n v2 (tested)
  • Xiaomi MiWiFi Nano
  • Netgear R6120
  • Xiaomi Mi Router 4A 100M

Installation

Please refer to the OpenWrt pages for the target device.
Generally Gargoyle images with the same name pattern can be substituted for reference OpenWrt images (e.g. gargoyle-???-factory for openwrt-???-factory), however installing OpenWrt first should still be considered before installing Gargoyle via OpenWrt's firmware update function with the Gargoyle "sysupgrade" image - in the event of initial installation issues you're more likely to be able to get assistance from the much larger OpenWrt community.

If in doubt, don't attempt to install one of these images.

As there is no current package repository available for the mt76x8 targets, desired optional packages will have to be installed by copying to the target router (e.g. by scp or WinSCP) and manually installing with the gpkg command from an SSH session.

Changelog

Build #2 (20221007):
- Gargoyle commit 4f6e9c33
- both small and large builds in one profile
- missing Xiaomi Mi Router 4A image added

Build #1 (20212131):
- initial build
- Gargoyle commit cf669bf0
- OpenWrt 19.07 base pushed forward to commit 81d0b4a9
- hosted on Github; source branch "ramips-mt76x8-targets"

Support...

There are always risks associated with flashing firmware, especially third party firmware, so please carefully consider your circumstances before attempting to install one of these images and be prepared for the possibility of failure and the potential for your router to become unusable (aka "bricked"). Neither I or the Gargoyle team can accept any responsibility for such outcomes.

If you have questions about Gargoyle's interface or general functionality, queries should be addressed to an appropriate section of this forum. For questions specific to this experimental build, please post a followup to this thread.

Please also report successful installations of these images to this thread so that Gargoyle's maintainers can evaluate whether there's enough interest in the mt76x8 targets to use this experimental build as a basis for adding full support for at least some mt76x8 devices to future Gargoyle releases.

Good luck!
pythonic
Last edited by pythonic on Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

Lantis

Re: Experimental build of Gargoyle 1.13.0.x for mt76x8 architecture routers (ramips subtargets)

Post by Lantis »

How goes the WR902AC v3?
I have one still in packaging that I’ve always wanted to put into use.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

pythonic

Re: Experimental build of Gargoyle 1.13.0.x for mt76x8 architecture routers (ramips subtargets)

Post by pythonic »

Lantis wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:37 am
How goes the WR902AC v3?
I was only able to test using a Huawei E3372 to get an internet connection and didn't need to use the WiFi, but within that usage context it performed as well as the GL-MT300n v2 I've used more extensively. My 4G connection with the E3372 is only good for about 20Mbps d/l which I don't think is close to stressing the MT7628.

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

Forgot to note earlier that for the WR902AC v3 I had no trouble installing the Gargoyle recovery image via TFTP following the instructions on the OpenWrt device page (i.e. by renaming the image to tp_recovery.bin); I used a switch between PC and device to minimise hassle with the PC end though.

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

4 months on and there have been 24 downloads of the 20211231 build... with no reports from users...

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

Responding to this post:
ViBE wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:24 am
pythonic wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:14 am
The GL-MT300N-V2 (Mango), if that's what you have, is supported by my MT76x8 experimental build.
if i connect it via cable to my main router it cannot get IP for some reason.
It works for me - are you changing the connection from "USB Modem (???)" to "DHCP (Wired)"? There's no automatic switchover as Gargoyle's not setup to automatically detect the WAN changing.

I have found that WAN changes from USB modem to ethernet and back again repeatedly can leave the router apparently stuck on the USB connection if the USB modem (a Huawei E3372h in my case) was left connected; removing the USB device allows selection of the "DHCP (Wired)" connection option when this happens. I've not been able to determine why it appears to get in this apparently stuck state and I don't recall encountering any similar problem doing the same thing on my gl.Inet B1300 (ipq40xx).

ViBE

Post by ViBE »

i rebooted several times and it's always the same. i can select DHCP so it's not a problem. i have the same modem but i also have a D-Link and not matter which one was connected before. the router cannot get an IP somehow.

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

ViBE wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:04 am
i rebooted several times and it's always the same. i can select DHCP so it's not a problem. i have the same modem but i also have a D-Link and not matter which one was connected before. the router cannot get an IP somehow.
I'm sorry - I'm missing something in understanding your description :(

Just to be clear, you need to change the WAN connection setting from "USB Modem..." to "DHCP (Wired)" with the WAN port connected to the upstream router then save the connection settings in order to get a DHCP assigned address and get connectivity via an upstream router. While the WAN connection is set to "USB Modem..." the WAN port interface is marked DOWN and it's only brought UP (and the DHCP assignment requested) when the WAN connection is set to one of the wired options.

You would then need to set the WAN connection back to "USB Modem..." to use the modem connection again.

The gl.Inet factory firmware might support auto-WAN sensing (which seems to me what you're expecting/describing) but Gargoyle does not. If you're describing something else can you please provide more details about the actual sequence of events that result in the lack of DHCP assignment so I can attempt to replicate it.

ViBE

Post by ViBE »

pythonic wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:03 am
ViBE wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:04 am
I'm sorry - I'm missing something in understanding your description :(

Just to be clear, you need to change the WAN connection setting from "USB Modem..." to "DHCP (Wired)" with the WAN port connected to the upstream router then save the connection settings in order to get a DHCP assigned address and get connectivity via an upstream router. While the WAN connection is set to "USB Modem..." the WAN port interface is marked DOWN and it's only brought UP (and the DHCP assignment requested) when the WAN connection is set to one of the wired options.

You would then need to set the WAN connection back to "USB Modem..." to use the modem connection again.

The gl.Inet factory firmware might support auto-WAN sensing (which seems to me what you're expecting/describing) but Gargoyle does not. If you're describing something else can you please provide more details about the actual sequence of events that result in the lack of DHCP assignment so I can attempt to replicate it.
you don't have to worry anymore about this. it's working. i have several network cables on my desk and i tried one which was disconnected recently... :)

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

ViBE wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:56 am
you don't have to worry anymore about this. it's working. i have several network cables on my desk and i tried one which was disconnected recently... :)
Thanks for the follow-up; I'm glad you got it sorted out.