Version 1.11.0 : Based on OpenWrt 18.06

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

pacofonix

Re: Version 1.11.0 : Based on OpenWrt 18.06

Post by pacofonix »

Lantis wrote:
lesbinary wrote:Hi! Just today I was going to try latest RC and I found this! Great job!

I installed 1.11.0 in my TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v2 as a gateway at home. Just some notes.

- "Login" button in Gargoyle entry page doesn't work with 'Enter' key, only if I click on it or I tab and then 'Enter', but not when I am typing the password.
I don't see this behaviour at all. What browser is this with? It works fine on Chrome, Firefox and IE from my testing. It also worked on iOS Safari using the "Return" button on the keyboard
You are right. Now it works, after rebooting my laptop :shock: Sorry about this.
- Disabling DHCP gets an infinite loop with the "Please Wait While Settings Are Applied" message with the classic waiting spiral. Refreshing page solves it, but still, not good waiting for nothing.
Some operations cause the router to temporarily stop communicating with the host. In most cases we have a manual refresh check timer running. It isn't used for DHCP. I've never seen the behaviour you're reporting, but i'll investigate further and see if it is also required on this page.
Just disable DHCP and save to reproduce. I had to do this because I use another DHCP server in my Raspberry Pi.
- "About" page shows "2008-2016" instead of "2008-2019"
Thanks, this is fixed in the code for future versions
Nice!
- Biggest regression compared to 1.10.0 is related to OpenVPN. I think this is the only plugin I think I need from the repo and the only missing thing I noticed when I installed this new version. Well, it doesn't work with my router. When I install it, looks like everything worked but OpenVPN menu is not shown anywhere. Trying to uninstall doesn't work either, it is always shown as installed, and when I log in with SSH it shows this message:

Code: Select all

Your JFFS2-partition seems full and overlayfs is mounted read-only.
Please try to remove files from /overlay/upper/... and reboot!
This last issue is the biggest one. Maybe it is related with partitions, because it is not usual to have this huge tmpfs and small /overlay (this is with a clean install, not after trying to install openvpn plugin):

root@Gargoyle:~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 5.5M      5.5M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    29.4M     80.0K     29.3M   0% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock3          960.0K    244.0K    716.0K  25% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay      960.0K    244.0K    716.0K  25% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
After "installing" openvpn plugin (but it doesn't work) it looks like this:

root@Gargoyle:/# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 5.5M      5.5M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    29.4M     88.0K     29.3M   0% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock3          960.0K    912.0K     48.0K  95% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay      960.0K    912.0K     48.0K  95% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev

If you want me to report or move this anywhere else or test anything, just let me know.
Your router does not have enough space to run the OpenVPN plugin natively. You'll need to use a USB stick to extend the plugin root. Note that this will need to be formatted as EXT4 (preferably), but should work on most formats as long as it is not FAT16/32.

I know that the VPN plugin reports itself as ~600kB for install, but in reality it is closer to 1MB after all dependencies are added. I am still investigating why the size isn't added up properly.

When you attempt to install it, it fills your router to 100%, and drops it into a read only mode to prevent it from crashing and further filling. The only way to recover from this is a reset to factory settings, or to reflash the same image and start again.

tmpfs is your RAM. Showing up around 29MB is interesting... the V2 of your router has 64MB of RAM. Yours is showing closer to 32 which would indicate a V1. Not to ask the stupid question, but are you sure you have a v2?
Regardless, a large tmpfs is completely normal.
The overlay partition is smaller than you might be expecting because the linux kernel and userland packages are growing in size, not shrinking. So every update, the overlay is going to shrink and shrink. This is why 4MB routers are no longer able to be supported, and while 8MB are ok, for longevity i'd really be recommending people (for new purchases) to look at 16MB flash minimum. Above 8MB, we can also include things like OpenVPN out of the box for you.

Hope this helps.
Ok, so the installation and full disk error is expected given the new size of the system and the (now) small flash size. Good to know, I will try to find an old USB stick to install OpenVPN, or using Raspberry Pi for that.

And I am pretty sure this is a V2. I attach a picture of the serial and model in the sticker under the router, so something is wrong with RAM:

I will try to reinstall the image with factory and sysupgrade again, in case anything went wrong, but I am open to try any thing you want.

EDIT: reinstalling didn't change anything visible (preserving settings). But there is something strange, as you said that tmpfs is RAM, but df -h command shows different usage numbers of tmpfs than the web interface, which looks like recognises RAM correctly:
Last edited by pacofonix on Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

Lantis wrote:That isn't true.
For the database to survive, it needs for the usb_storage to mount first.
If it doesn't, a new database is created.

And then all you need to do is kill minidlna, make sure that the mount is complete, and restart minidlna. And it detects the old database and runs just fine.

Yes there is a race condition there that should be fixed. It doesn't always result in the bad behaviour.
Oh, my fault, sorry.
It works so, what is first, there is a database created - I did not know, thank you.
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

@lesbinary

/tmp is not physical RAM but virtual RAM (RAM disk). Web interface shows physical RAM.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tmpfs

EDIT: To find out the physical memory state, use the command: free

ViBE

Post by ViBE »

Lantis wrote:As a temporary fix, you could manually apply the code changes from here:
https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargo ... its/master
All changes from Feb 24.

A new testing build might be provided by ispyisail. But that’s a volunteer service, so there’s no timeframe on that obviously.

Ipv6 is not supported by Gargoyle like I said. If it is causing you problems, try disabling it.
It might be enabled in /etc/config/network or /etc/confg/dhcp
It shouldn’t be causing clients to not be able to reach the internet.
You should be able to safely ignore the error...
thanks. i would ignore it. i just thought that the message is related with the issue. but if not the IPv6 cause the problem then what? i configured the Asus RT-AC58U and the Xiaomi Mi Router 3G same like my other devices. and not even configured fully. set PPPoE and the WLAN. i tested with a Windows 10 machine via LAN/WLAN and with an Android phone.

edit:
i see this different date format at the web monitor too. the change what you did is global or affects only the DDNS page?

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

@Lantis

When the new version is ready, here I am dealing with an interesting case with a typo, will it be adjusted?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11788&start=10#p51771

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yes the change should be global.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

SirWeazel

Post by SirWeazel »

I've seen some mention of some minor fixes already. Will these be released in an 1.11.x release/upgrade via the normal downloads? I didn't look real hard earlier, but it wasn't until fairly recently I noticed unofficial updates being provided in a forum post before the official release. Thanks for all the hard work. I'm just looking for some personal time to upgrade to the new release soon.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I’m sure they will be in time depending on ispyisails available and generosity.
The minor fixes aren’t so far critical, although the plugin FAT32 limitation is a bit of a bummer and I wish I saw that coming. But it ultimately has an easy fix.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

melquiferreira

Post by melquiferreira »

Latest openwrt 18.0 has support for Archer C20 v4, why gargoyle 1.11 doesn't?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

melquiferreira wrote:Latest openwrt 18.0 has support for Archer C20 v4, why gargoyle 1.11 doesn't?
We need a user to do a custom build, test it, and send it to us as a patch.