Wireless Bridge/Repeater

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

d3fz

Re: Wireless Bridge/Repeater

Post by d3fz »

guyso wrote:If you could point me in the right direction to find some documentation on how to set up relayd from the command line in Gargoyle I would like to give it a go.
There's a great tutorial on OpenWRT forums about this:
Repeater configurations here! Both ways, bridged and simple repeater
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

ViBE

Post by ViBE »

feels a bit lame but this whole topic is not clear for me yet. i cannot see the solution through the crowd. so i want to extend an existing wifi network but i want to create my own subnet and use my own SSID. most of the clients should connect to my device via wifi. i want to share the internet connection basically. what settings should i use?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

DHCP Wireless and Client + AP, not a repeater/bridge.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ViBE

Post by ViBE »

Lantis wrote:DHCP Wireless and Client + AP, not a repeater/bridge.
ah, thanks. can i use 40Mhz if the AP use 20Mhz or it's not possible?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

That’s a good question. I actually don’t know the answer.
My gut feeling is that it will revert down to the lowest value.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Grg

Post by Grg »

I wondering, why mac address filtering can not be set in bridge/repeater mode?

It can be set in gateway mode, but no option in repeater mode :(

Imho this is an important setting for all operation modes, and the stock fw-s (and dd-wrt too) have all this option, regardless in which operation mode i use my device.

bxparks

Post by bxparks »

Lantis wrote:DHCP Wireless and Client + AP, not a repeater/bridge.
Thank you for this hint! This is what I needed as well.

I just want to point out for the benefit of search engines that this mode is also called WISP mode on some websites. I like it over Bridge mode because I still have access to the Bridge/WISP router from the bridged side. Seems safer to me. My clients on the bridged side are on gigabit ethernet, allowing fast access to each other, while still being able to access the internet through the WISP router. At some point, I'll upgrade my home so that the wireless link becomes a wired link, but this works for now.

pkkrusty

Post by pkkrusty »

I think I'm running into an issue surrounding this. I have a gargoyle router acting as a DHCP/DNS server for the whole network and another gargoyle router connected via a long cable broadcasting a wireless network to cover a different area. That works great, everyone has network access. However, I have a third gargoyle router that i want to join the second wirelessly to act as a repeater. I set up as Wireless Bridge/Repeater, and put in all the info as guides here have indicated. That seemed to work. I can see the whole internal network and am correctly assigned my reserved DHCP address from the master router.

HOWEVER, internet access doesn't work.

In his drelay guide, ispyisail pointed out that "Devices can only access to the internet if Enforce DHCP assignments is unticked." Is this my problem?

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

pkkrusty wrote:I think I'm running into an issue surrounding this. I have a gargoyle router acting as a DHCP/DNS server for the whole network and another gargoyle router connected via a long cable broadcasting a wireless network to cover a different area. That works great, everyone has network access. However, I have a third gargoyle router that i want to join the second wirelessly to act as a repeater. I set up as Wireless Bridge/Repeater, and put in all the info as guides here have indicated. That seemed to work. I can see the whole internal network and am correctly assigned my reserved DHCP address from the master router.

HOWEVER, internet access doesn't work.

In his drelay guide, ispyisail pointed out that "Devices can only access to the internet if Enforce DHCP assignments is unticked." Is this my problem?
So give it a try. Uncheck this option and try. I recommend rebooting the rourter before the test.

P.S. Do not use WiFi for guests - it is also completely isolated.
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

pkkrusty

Post by pkkrusty »

I’m using the master router to hand out DHCP assignments to manage quotas, so I have to enforce DHCP assignments. Am I correct in understanding that the checkbox simply does a double-check of DHCP assignments to prevent MAC spoofing? Otherwise MACs are still assigned IP addresses based on the table?