USB Hard Drive Transfer Rate Testing! Come Get Some!

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

chigo58

Re: USB Hard Drive Transfer Rate Testing! Come Get Some!

Post by chigo58 »

Guys i am mounting an NTFS 1TB 2.5" USB drive under 1.6.2 - which mounts well and can be accessed from Win7. Problem is when i try to access it via NFS/SMB the drive clicks away and unmounts itself in Gargoyle, only to remount a few seconds later. Is this because of a lack of mA/power going to the drive? Or is this a known issue?

As a sidenote, i have no problems accessing the drive when directly plugged into to a GBOX MX2.

Any ideas?
x2 Archer C5,C7 - Stock | x1 TL-WA730RE v1 - Openwrt 14.07 | x2 TL-WR1043ND v1.7 - Gargoyle v1.6.X http://goo.gl/VMbxcH | x2 WRT54GL v1.1 Tomato v1.28.7821 MIPSR1-Toastman-ND, 14929_vpn | x1 WHR-HP-G54 - Gargoyle 1.4.7

Ulric

Post by Ulric »

chigo58 wrote:Guys i am mounting an NTFS 1TB 2.5" USB drive under 1.6.2 - which mounts well and can be accessed from Win7. Problem is when i try to access it via NFS/SMB the drive clicks away and unmounts itself in Gargoyle, only to remount a few seconds later. Is this because of a lack of mA/power going to the drive? Or is this a known issue?

As a sidenote, i have no problems accessing the drive when directly plugged into to a GBOX MX2.

Any ideas?
Sounds like lack of power is right. Assuming it is the cause, getting a powered USB hub would fix it.
-Ulric
Router: Nighthawk X6 (OpenWRT 15.05.1), 15M/1M (Time Warner Cable)

AudreyPayne

Post by AudreyPayne »

Hello there!

Here is my situation, I am new to forum and Linux side of things , so I have to know how to setup an external hard drive and make it so the pictures will go to the external hard drive rather than the original area? So what do I have to do?

Thanks!
http://www.bestsellingreviews.com/Compu ... ard-Drive/

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

WRT1900AC on Gargoyle 1.9.X Built 20151011-1810 git@a5c027b

Drive Format: NTFS
Drive Size: 2TB
HDD Connection: USB3.0
PC Connection: Ethernet (1 Gbps)
Test Files: 22 AVI files each ~360MB each copied from drive to an SSD on the local computer (and vice versa).

Avg Read: 24MB/s
Peak Read: 31MB/s
Min Read: 16MB/s
CPU Load: 2.9 :shock:

Avg Write: 5MB/s
Peak Write: 6.4MB/s
Min Write: 4.1MB/s
CPU Load: 1.23
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Ducatiboy Stu

Post by Ducatiboy Stu »

AudreyPayne wrote:Hello there!

Here is my situation, I am new to forum and Linux side of things , so I have to know how to setup an external hard drive and make it so the pictures will go to the external hard drive rather than the original area? So what do I have to do?

Thanks!
http://www.bestsellingreviews.com/Compu ... ard-Drive/
Will depend on your version of Linux and weather you are using a GUI front end like Ubuntu or Mint, or straight cmd line like Centos

Linux mounts drives different to M$ Windows, it mounts a drive as a file, not a drive as Windows does

Need more info on your setup to be able to help
Brewer of Beer
Driver of a Morris Minor Ute
User of Linux
Installer of Asterisk
Comms Tech for many years

boronunu

Post by boronunu »

I have question, which is pretty simple but due to my lack of knowledge of linux can't find the answer. I want to format a hdd to ext4 directly from the router interface page. However it is asking me how much I want to allocate for swap space. Now I understand swap spaces are used by the OS. However if I'm going to use that hdd purely as storage for movies/songs do I need swap space at all. The hdd will be connected to the router to stream movies/mp3 and won't be used to anything else

thekk

Post by thekk »

Router: WRT1200ac with Gargoyle 1.9.X 11th May 2016
HDD: CnMemory Spaceloop 3TB USB3
full NTFS formated
no other format tested

HDD to PC: ~105MB/s
PC to HDD: ~25MB/s (~55% CPU load)

Note:
PC to HDD goes down about by the rate of downloading from inet.
i.e.:
inet to PC: 12MB/s
QoS on: PC to HDD: ~13MB/s (CPU ~80%)
QoS off: PC to HDD: ~16MB/s (CPU ~60%)