Some basics networking questions

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

rushino

Some basics networking questions

Post by rushino »

Hello,

I am using Gargoyle 1.5 on my WNDR3700v2 and i had 2 questions.

1- Is there a way to make the device show up ? it say (unknown) as hostname on all devices.
I had the same problem with the netgear default firmware so i am pretty sure this is something
to do with some device configuration.

2- Sometimes there are IP such 10.85.*.* trying to connect as UDP connection. Any idea what thoses ips ?

3- The DHCP is ON in the firmware and i was wondering why it started at 189 ? shouldnt it start at 101 ? when giving out ip.. or it is random ? just wondering.

Thanks.

pbix
Developer

Re: Some basics networking questions

Post by pbix »

rushino wrote:Hello,

I am using Gargoyle 1.5 on my WNDR3700v2 and i had 2 questions.

1- Is there a way to make the device show up ? it say (unknown) as hostname on all devices.
I had the same problem with the netgear default firmware so i am pretty sure this is something
to do with some device configuration.

2- Sometimes there are IP such 10.85.*.* trying to connect as UDP connection. Any idea what thoses ips ?

3- The DHCP is ON in the firmware and i was wondering why it started at 189 ? shouldnt it start at 101 ? when giving out ip.. or it is random ? just wondering.

Thanks.
1) They do show up with hostnames if a hostname is configured in the device requesting the address. You can also configure a static IP on the connection->DHCP screen and add a host name there.

2) These IPs are not trying to connect to your LAN. Programs running on your LAN are connecting to them. You can get some sense of an IPs pedigree by consulting IP lookup services like http://ip-lookup.net/

3) The DHCP server does not hand out IP addressees in any particular sequence.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

rushino

Post by rushino »

Hello,

Thanks a lots for your reply, very appreciated.

Just some clarification in point 1.. it is possible to name ourself or use as description the hostnames associated to the device in the router setting ? I am not talking about setting them to the device side here.

Thanks.

billymm

Post by billymm »

My network uses static ip addresses so I have DHCP disabled. When DHCP is disabled the Static IPs box is greyed out.

This might help someone:
You can manually edit the /etc/hosts file with the vi editor after logging into the router via SSH using Putty.

I just entered all my static ip address host names so now the names of my pcs show up in the Connected Hosts tab

mix

Post by mix »

What the hell is up with spam control on these forums?
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

mix wrote:What the hell is up with spam control on these forums?
why don't you mark it as spam?