DD-WRT to gargoyle, tp-link wr941nd.

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

robbak

DD-WRT to gargoyle, tp-link wr941nd.

Post by robbak »

I am trying to upgrade my DD-WRT-powered tp-link wr941nd version 2.2 to Gargoyle, without success. The web upgrade page simply tells me "Upgrade Failed" with both the ..sysupgrade and ..factory files, and I cannot seem to get any further information.
Can someone tell me how I might find out why the upgrade failed? It doesn't seem to be writing any log files.

What is the correct mtd filename to flash firmware from the command prompt for OpenWRT? I havn't been able to find this.

My router is currently running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/21/10) std

robbak

Re: DD-WRT to gargoyle, tp-link wr941nd.

Post by robbak »

I have found the answer, by dumping all the mtds in /dev, and diffing what I got with the original dd-wrt firmware binary.

it's:

Code: Select all

mtd -e /dev/mtd1 write gargoyle_1.5.0-ar71xx-tl-wr941nd-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin /dev/mtd1
I then did:

Code: Select all

erase nvram 
rebooted, and I'm in gargoyle.

Now I just have to find out how to do more advanced things, like assigning the wan port to the standard vlan and altering the dhcp config to hand out the address of other router instead of its' own.

nebbia88

Post by nebbia88 »

for anyone that will have this problem, wouldn't be easier to flash back the stock firmware, using the webrevert files from sticky 3d in dd-wrt forum, and then flash gargoyle with the usual factory.bin ?????

pigstacho

Post by pigstacho »

Reverting back to stock and then flashing to Gargoyle with Factory image is the way I did it, for me it seems better