VPN

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

bplotkin

VPN

Post by bplotkin »

Hi
Just wondering if VPN is being considered or if possible a little info on how I can install it from the command line?

Thanks!
Linksys WRT54GL = Gargoyle 1.4.2
TP-Link TL-WR741ND = Gargoyle 1.4.2
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH = Gargoyle 1.4.2
http://eduboris.blogspot.com/search/label/Gargoyle

gmore

Re: VPN

Post by gmore »

would like to know this also.

as i don't want to leave my pc on all day to provide a vpn connection.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

No one is working on anything related to this at the moment related to Gargoyle.

However you can read at http://wiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/openvpntunhowto how this can be done using the underlying OS OpenWRT and the command line.

I believe there are several packages available that can do this. You can run these and Gargoyle at the same time.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

gmore

Post by gmore »

cheers for that.

exactly what i need. :)

wilsonhlacerda

Post by wilsonhlacerda »

I follow that.

DD-WRT and Tomato for instance both have easy configurable VPN Clients (PPTP or OpenVPN). OpenWRT does not.

Worst than that. In fact if you google internet and search OpenWRT forum/Wiki you'll notice that VPN is a mess in OpenWRT discussions out there. The majority of people since Kamikaze try and give up or they have tons of problems and open questions. Old Wiki OpenWRT is completely outdated for Kamikaze/Backfire. New Wiki there's nothing written. Rules are: people just give up and moves to DD-WRT/Tomato.

OpenWRT/Gargoyle do deserve as soon as possible an easy configurable PPTP Client. Possibility to redirect to VPN or unprotected WAN connection based on IP/port would be perfect.
OpenVPN Client support would be a plus. VPN server should also be considered for future release.
Gargoyle is the perfect tool to first bring that to OpenWRT.

I opened a feature request for that:
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/gargoyle/issues/6
in my opinion it should be a Normal priority (sure it is not a high one, but low it's too little considering what I wrote above).

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

If I had infinite time, I would definitely work on this. However, there are only so many hours in the day.

See this post for a rough list of what my current priorities are.

However, patches are always welcome. If someone wants to work on this feature, I would love to have their help.

Cezary

Post by Cezary »

very early version

mix

Post by mix »

Nice! How about OpenVPN?

Also, what is the deal with the server ip address for a PPTP server? Like on dd-wrt, you can change the lan side ip address, but what is the point? I don't even think it works if you don't use the same address as the router. Don't you always want it to be the same address as the router? Why would you ever change it?
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

Cezary

Post by Cezary »

This is the ip address of the other side of connections. See: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/PP ... #Server_IP

UsernameTaken

Post by UsernameTaken »

That seems great Cezary. I was just looking for a vpn solution that would let my android phone access my network, and efforts to get it working myself has been unsuccessful.

I have a question for you though: I know very little of vpn but my intial research indicated that pptp was unsecure, vs L2TP/IPsec, Is that something one need to be concerned about?