Gargoyle Git Source Builds

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

DoesItMatter

Re: Gargoyle Git Source Builds

Post by DoesItMatter »

Eric wrote:Hey, I notice people are interested in getting builds from the latest up-to-date source.

I am thinking of introducing a "Nightly" build in addition to the experimental/stable releases. Old nightly builds wouldn't be stored, and there would be no guarantee that the build is at all stable or completely brick your router, just that it is from the very latest source, rebuilt every 24 hours.

Would people be interested in this? I'm just a little worried that I'll make a major change, someone will download a nightly image and it will crash their router, leaving them somewhat unhappy...
If not Nightly - maybe put them out if you think its a good change
to test out or a significant fix?

I know you are busy as hell, so would hate to add more work to you.

If you're just making minor changes, probably wouldn't need to
compile a whole set of firmware images for those.

Just my thoughts.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

Gingernut

Post by Gingernut »

FWIW, just noticed that there are a few important mac80211/ath9k updates in OpenWRT source.

Looks like full OpenWRT support for the wzr-hp-ag300h has been introduced. Maybe Eric will look into getting Gargoyle support too :roll: .

Take Care

arteq

Post by arteq »

Good idea with nightly build. This will help with discovery a bugs and then remove them quickly.

markc

Post by markc »

So Eric, do you still intend to do nightly builds?

I'm just starting out with gargoyle/openwrt and haven't even managed to build anything yet, let alone boot a WNDR3700 to a custom firmware, but I'd be interested in building and hosting some firmware bins and packages. I'm mainly interested in the build procedure and management scripts, and maybe how to create an Archlinux package to install a complete working setup.

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

markc wrote:So Eric, do you still intend to do nightly builds?

I'm just starting out with gargoyle/openwrt and haven't even managed to build anything yet, let alone boot a WNDR3700 to a custom firmware, but I'd be interested in building and hosting some firmware bins and packages. I'm mainly interested in the build procedure and management scripts, and maybe how to create an Archlinux package to install a complete working setup.
I think Eric has been out of town
(If I remember right from one of his replies)

I'm compiling my own and have been playing around with the
OpenWRT trunk latest releases.

If you want to try some builds, I should have one of the latest
builds from trunk - rev 27840 is what I compiled over the weekend.

I compiled the whole AR71XX branch, and I think the WNDR3700
builds are included, so can upload them if you would like to
test them out. I will be trying the same build on my WZR-HP-G300NH
this weekend as well, but I do have serial recovery just in case.

Did you setup serial recovery on yours?

Always necessary when playing around with builds.

Even releases can occasionally glitch out during the upgrade
and have to be recovered via serial console.
(Has happened to me once or twice in the 1.3.x series)
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

markc

Post by markc »

Did you setup serial recovery on yours?

No, not yet, I better look into that if I want to play with Git builds. I've only just flashed Backfire 10.03.1-rc5 on my WNDR3700v1 and still do not quite have it configured right yet so I'll play around with that for another day or so then install a stable 1.3.16 then try yours once I am familiar with the interface.

Is https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargoyle the "canonical" source repo? There's been no activity for 2 weeks.

markc

Post by markc »

I notice the full-build.sh script is only (on first look) setup to build an OpenWRT branch with no option to pull in trunk without manual editing. I'd like to try the latest available kernel so is using openwrt trunk a really bad idea, in that gargoyle master won't build at all?

I see there is a targets/ar71xx/profiles/ath9k_wndr3700/ folder so how would I only build that to start with using the 4 args to full-build.sh?

I've cloned Erics Github repo so the first thing I might do is add a README.md with some howto build notes.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

markc: https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargoyle is a mirror of the canonical repo, and yes I've had a ton of non-Gargoyle stuff going on in the past two weeks, so there hasn't been much activity. I haven't disappeared though. ;-)

Development should pick up shortly.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I just realized I only answered the first part of your question. Regarding building based on OpenWrt trunk: no, it won't work. You're welcome to try and get it working, but there are some patches that won't apply properly as-is, and will probably require some significant adjustments.

If you do add the markdown send me a pull request, and I'll gladly add it into the main repo. It's another one of those things that I just haven't had the time to get around to.

There's (currently) no way to build only the wndr3700 profiles. You have to build all profiles for a given architecture at a time. Don't run the full build.sh script directly -- run make. The command you want is probably:

Code: Select all

make V=99 FULL_BUILD=true GARGOYLE_VERSION="1.3.16-markc"

markc

Post by markc »

Looks like this is what I need for a WNDR3700 build...

make ar71xx V=99 GARGOYLE_VERSION="1.3.16-markc"
But I'm still getting this problem which seems to indicate I should be building as root, or sudo should be used at that point of failure, but some warning suggested I should not build as root so I'm confused...

make  install-exec-hook
make[8]: Entering directory `/home/markc/Devel/gargoyle/ar71xx-src/build_dir/linux-ar71xx/fuse-2.8.3/util'
chown root /home/markc/Devel/gargoyle/ar71xx-src/build_dir/linux-ar71xx/fuse-2.8.3/ipkg-install/usr/bin/fusermount
chown: changing ownership of `/home/markc/Devel/gargoyle/ar71xx-src/build_dir/linux-ar71xx/fuse-2.8.3/ipkg-install/usr/bin/fusermount': Operation not permitted
make[8]: [install-exec-hook] Error 1 (ignored)
chmod u+s /home/markc/Devel/gargoyle/ar71xx-src/build_dir/linux-ar71xx/fuse-2.8.3/ipkg-install/usr/bin/fusermount
mknod /home/markc/Devel/gargoyle/ar71xx-src/build_dir/linux-ar71xx/fuse-2.8.3/ipkg-install/dev/fuse -m 0666 c 10 229 || true
mknod: `/home/markc/Devel/gargoyle/ar71xx-src/build_dir/linux-ar71xx/fuse-2.8.3/ipkg-install/dev/fuse': Operation not permitted
make[8]: Leaving directory `/home/markc/Devel/gargoyle/ar71xx-src/build_dir/linux-ar71xx/fuse-2.8.3/util'
Should I be using sudo make... ?

I'll be happy to start writing a README.md once I understand how to create a successful build.

BTW that haserl "no tab in Makefile" issue was when trying OpenWRT trunk. A misguided attempt at getting a later kernel but I need to start off with safe defaults before getting adventurous.