Site Admin

Version 1.14.0: Based on OpenWrt 22.03

Post by Eric »

New in 1.14.0:
  • OpenWrt
    • Switched from OpenWrt 19.07 to 22.03
  • Wifi
    • Removed WEP encrpytion option
    • Introduced option to see wifi clients connected to other Gargoyle routers that are on the same LAN (see usteer)
    • Introduced Wifi 6 (802.11ax) support
    • Fixed a bug which was misreporting the maximum allowed transmit power
    • Removed adhoc wifi mode
  • Hardware Support
    • ipq806x: Introduced ramoops function for several devices
    • ipq806x: Force some devices to always run at maximum CPU frequency
    • mvebu: Disabled for this release due to upstream OpenWrt issues. Support will return in the future once OpenWrt resolves
      the issue (already done in Master)
    • Introduced new target "mediatek"
    • Introduced new sub-target "ramips.mt76x8"
    • Introduced new target "ipq40xx"
    • Introduced new target "rockchip"
    • Introduced new target "bcm27xx" (Raspberry PI)
  • Plugins
    • Introduced new plugin "Diagnostics" which allows you to do basic ping/traceroute/nslookup checks from the administration interface
    • Tor: Fixed a typo in the init script which could lead to permissions errors
    • Introduced new plugin for iPhone (and other iOS devices) USB tethering for internet
    • USB Storage: Switched samba36 for ksmbd
    • USB Storage: Added a new function to mount disks from the GUI
    • USB Storage: Replaced ntfs-3g with ntfs3 kernel driver from 5.15
    • DDNS: Updated endpoint for aruljohn.com
    • Email Notifications: Fixed domain and web searches reports
    • Wireguard: Fixed routing to client subnets
    • Introduced new plugin to install USB ethernet drivers (helpful onx86 or similar high utility builds)
    • USB Storage: Fixed FTP user issue when using anonymous access
  • Build Scripts
    • Fixed num_build_threads option
    • Introduced Gargoyle meta packages for easier package inclusion
    • Introduced files option for including custom files directly into the buildroot
    • Removed "make prereq" step as no longer needed
    • Introduced script for creating a diffconfig. The build scripts now support a diffconfig rather than a full .config
    • Build now aborts if any patches fail to apply (to avoid nasty surprises)
    • Shrunk all targets to minimal profiles to improve build times by using per-device rootfs option where available/appropriate
  • Packages
    • All packages bumped to latest versions
    • Introduced "usteer", a wireless client steering solution
    • Dropped bridge-utils in favour of busybox replacement
    • Dropped exfat in favour of in-tree kernel fs-exfat and exfatprogs
    • Haserl-i18n: Introduced option to include all files from a directory
    • OpenVPN update to 2.5 which has backwards incompatibilities. Suggest users set up their VPN again. Settings behind the scene will use maximum compatibility but some issues are unavoidable.
  • IPv6
    • Enabled IPv6 for DHCP Wireless mode
  • GUI
    • Introduced Connection Advanced page which holds complex settings that should never have been on the Connection Basic page
    • Introduced Hungarian APN settings
    • Properly fix the "Set Quotas" option which was introduced but non-functional
  • Core
    • Extended switchinfo script to handle ethX interfaces and
      2.5/5/10gbps connection rates
    • Extended tempinfo script to handle more devices
  • Firewall
    • Switched from IMQ to IFB. IFB is in-tree so requires no patching, and we can achieve the same thing
    • Fixed "Enforce DHCP Assignments" option which has been broken for some time, and improved the performance of the firewall when using it
    • Drastically sped up firewall restart time when using Connect Via: Disabled mode
    • Fixed guest isolation settings when DHCP server is not run by Gargoyle
This is a large upgrade from OpenWrt 19.07 to 22.03, and it is recommended to not preserve settings.

Beware: devices with 32MB of RAM or less may not be viable on this version or any versions moving forward.

Thank you to the following contributors
Michael Gray @lantis
Cezary Jackiewicz @obsy
Andrew MacIntyre @aimacintyre/pythonic
Arul John @aruljohn
EricFromCanada
Jan Kiszka @jan-kiszka
Łukasz M @lukasz1992
ViBE @ViBE-HU
Last edited by Lantis on Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lantis

Re: Version 1.14.0: Based on OpenWrt 22.03

Post by Lantis »

Thanks Eric!
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Mr.nsingh2

Post by Mr.nsingh2 »

Just upgraded my TP-Link Archer C7 v5 to Gargoyle 1.14.0 from 1.13.0, upgrade worked flawlessly over WiFi with option to preserve settings selected. My PC connected to the upgraded router via WiFi automatically after the upgrade! Thank you Eric and the team.

Edit: My TP-Link Archer C7 v5 was running in Wireless Bridge/Repeater mode when I upgraded it from 1.13.0 to 1.14.0 without any problem while preserving settings.
Last edited by Mr.nsingh2 on Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

ektus

Post by ektus »

Should I install this one if I'm currently on the 1.15.X build from April 18th, 2023? or are these basically the same (except for version number and add-on location)?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Virtually the same
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ViBE

Post by ViBE »

nice surprise. sadly one of my routers has instant issues with the new firmware. i have a GL-iNet GL-AR300M16. i used it with the stock GL-iNet snapshot firmware. after flashing with Gargoyle 1.14 the GUI starts with an error message:

Code: Select all

Router storage full (read only) or is mounted in volatile storage (RAM). It will not function correctly, or will revert to a previous state after rebooting. Restore default configuration or flash new firmware (without preserving settings).
reset done. also tried to flash with Gargoyle again. after restarts the configuration is gone. what's cause this?

update
meanwhile i tried the uboot method. looks like it's now fine. is it normal or my case is an exception? is it possible to flash via GUI this device?

Eric3K

Post by Eric3K »

No luck with preserving settings on my Archer C7 v4. The wireless settings didn't show any 5GHz options, and when I switched it from AP+WDS to Access point, something in the JS glitched such that every available field became visible, making it impossible to make any further changes without filling out every single required field. Thankfully, it worked fine after resetting to defaults.

It doesn't appear compatible with my WDR4300 v1.3, even with default settings. It wouldn't activate the wireless interfaces and seemed to only briefly activate DHCP on ethernet before becoming unresponsive, and I ended up having to use TFTP to revert to 1.13.

Glad to see my service discovery fix made it in, though!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Don't preserve settings from 1.13 or earlier please.

Not able to really comment on the WDR4300 without more details, feel free to make another thread if you want to deep dive into it with logs etc.

smoke_15

Post by smoke_15 »

Awesome, thanks for the new release!

Curious though if 1.14.0 support for the "Marvell Armada XP/370" is intentionally missing.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

As per the release notes, unfortunately yes
mvebu: Disabled for this release due to upstream OpenWrt issues. Support will return in the future once OpenWrt resolves the issue (already done in Master)
We will bring it back in the future as it is a popular platform. However upstream disabled it due to a bug which was deemed critical enough to stop releasing images. It has since been fixed but that fix won’t be brought back to the OpenWrt 22.03 branch we are using.