Keep LAN IP assignment when updating

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

ektus

Keep LAN IP assignment when updating

Post by ektus »

If the IP range in use is not 192.168.1.0/24, updating Gargoyle devices without keeping the settings is quite troublesome. In every case, I've got to gain physical access to the device in question, involving a hike across the property and climbing ladders.

Proposal: Keep the IP assignment for the LAN side of the router, or get the IP on the LAN port from the DHCP server in the network (if available). IP v4 would be sufficient, and that one hasn't changed for ages. The DHCP approach should be the easiest one and doesn't involve compatibility checks of any old settings.

In case of wireless client mode, keep the related settings (country, network name and password) and reconnect automatically. This might break for big version jumps, but not frequently.

This would greatly ease the upgrade process for "dumb" Gargoyle devices in the local network. In my case, a total of 5 routers, two of them in wireless client mode. And even for the main router downstairs (number 6).

ispyisail

Re: Keep LAN IP assignment when updating

Post by ispyisail »

+1

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I think we are doing things outside the gargoyle design scope.

In the beginning, it was just 1 simple router in your own home.

We are now creating remote virtual networks with many routers.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I can’t make this happen.
If you want custom settings out of the box, you can compile your own firmware super easily.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.