Install on TP Link Archer A7 V5 AC1750

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

scottmotron

Install on TP Link Archer A7 V5 AC1750

Post by scottmotron »

Hey everybody,
I know people have successfully installed on the Archer C7 v5, but how about the A7? I'm aware that they're very similar, but not identical. I remember reading somewhere that there are differences in the flash layout. DD-WRT has separate bins for C7 and A7.

Anybody have luck experience with the A7 that you could share? I have satellite internet, and Gargoyle's bandwidth monitoring and data quotas would be ideal for keeping under my data cap.

Thanks, --scott

ispyisail

Re: Install on TP Link Archer A7 V5 AC1750

Post by ispyisail »

couldn't even find an A7 from my supplier?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It's an ath79 device only. It might be supported in Gargoyle 1.13.
Until then it is not supportable.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

I just want to say I hope the Archer A7 becomes a supported Gargoyle router with 1.13. It's an Alexa/Amazon version of the C7 v5, sells for around $60 new (about $45 refurbished on eBay or less if used).

I ran the Polish Gargoyle 1.13 test firmware on it for over a month, with 4 adults in the house during this pandemic. Usually 15+ devices with 1.5 TB of data usage, and not a single issue with it. It's the best range and reliability I've had from any Gargoyle router (granted, I only buy used routers and never spend more than $30 on them). Screenshots are in the link below.
https://imgur.com/a/KqX93fM

File can be found here. Keep in mind it's considered a test build since it's Gargoyle on OpenWRT 19.07
https://dl.eko.one.pl/gargoyle-pl/openw ... 9/generic/

It could have gone longer, but I disconnected it to test another really cheap router with a slightly faster CPU, the Netgear R6220. Got this one for under $20 on eBay.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

AX90

Post by AX90 »

Which version of gargoyle did you download and install on Archer A7?

BogMonster

Post by BogMonster »

This is an old thread but I've just put 1.13 on my A7. See my other thread in the forum. I'm no expert but I found I had to flash the router with OpenWRT first and then use the sysupgrade version of the Gargoyle firmware, it wouldn't let me go directly to Gargoyle from the TP-Link firmware.