X86 Fanless mini PC review for Gargoyle

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

ispyisail

X86 Fanless mini PC review for Gargoyle

Post by ispyisail »

Hi all

I've been testing my X86 Fanless mini PC with Gargoyle for sometime now.

Its comes with a mSATA SSD card but I broke in using cheap adaptor equipment form ebay. I replaced this card with a hardrive which ran gargoyle for 6 months then died.

After some testing and reflection I've come to the conclusion that the X86 Fanless mini PC is not good hardware for gargoyle.

The problem is heat build up.

Routers run 24/7 and need to be reliable. Because the lack of good cooling I think reliability is going to be a problem long term.

Lantis

Re: X86 Fanless mini PC review for Gargoyle

Post by Lantis »

I’m running a fanless box myself.
The entire chassis is the heat sink. It stays around 53°C under heavy load. Seems reasonably reliable. It reboots every now and then not sure why.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Its really hot to touch, I suspect the environment will also be a factor.

I just have no confidence. maybe its OK

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Mine looks exactly the same.
We had a hot day yesterday and my office was closed up all day. It got pretty toasty. The device was sitting at 59°C and yes it was hot to the touch.
The cpu itself should be ok to about 105 degrees depending on which particular chip, but obviously the cooler the better
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.