Do I need to retire my Archer c7 v2?

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

eelpout

Re: Do I need to retire my Archer c7 v2?

Post by eelpout »

Lantis wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:34 am
Even with everything off, it won’t top 300mbps. CPU is going to be having a hernia at that speed too.
I tried flashing to Gargoyle v13 yesterday and it actually was worse performance wise, so I fell back to v12.

what's weird is the CPU doesn't appear to be doing all that much according to the dashboard. :)

Someone on Reddit r/OpenWRT a few years ago said they did manage to eek out much better performance on a v2 using v19 and Flow Offloading. [Archer c7 v5 on latest image (19.07) slow LAN-WAN]

I have a cheap Netgear WiFi 6 (WAX202) on the way so we'll see how that does.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

More complex kernel, more memory footprint, more complex network stack, worse performance. It’s just the progression of things.
Flow offloading won’t work with Gargoyle features.

The wax202 isn’t supported by Gargoyle either, I assume you were aware.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

eelpout

Post by eelpout »

Lantis wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:38 pm
The wax202 isn’t supported by Gargoyle either, I assume you were aware.
yep, I'll have to put OpenWrt on it. :)

eelpout

Post by eelpout »

FWIW, I did get the Netgear WAX202 and put the latest, stable firmware, OpenWrt on it (22.03.2 ramips/mt7621). It definitely did the trick for me of getting closer to the speeds my Xfinity plan is capable of.

To really get close I have to turn on "flow offloading," but that bypasses some of the kernel which nixes some of the bandwidth monitoring tools. So, I just leave that feature off for now. Still much, much faster than the C7 v2, 275 Mbps vs ~600 Mbps wired with the many packages I installed ;).

But of course, I dreadfully miss the Gargoyle interface. :)