WRT54G Constant Blinking Power Light BUT Pinging

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

WesC

WRT54G Constant Blinking Power Light BUT Pinging

Post by WesC »

I just bought a 2nd WRT54G-TM and immediately loaded the CFE_Updater-WRT54G-TM.bin and then the latest Gargoyle package which is currently gargoyle_1.3.14-wrt54g-squashfs.bin for my router.

Currently I have a blinking power light. Luckily the router is pinging @ 192.168.1.1
I tried loading earlier gargoyle firmware, dd-wrt standard generic for wrt54g, and even tried to revert to the stock linksys firmware which was working. I bought it new off ebay. I also tried the power supply from my other wrt54g-tm and it also blinked ruling out the weak power supply comments.
All help is appreciated, and although I tried these steps above it does not mean I did them correctly. I'm just at the point where I need a hand.
Thanks

pbix
Developer

Re: WRT54G Constant Blinking Power Light BUT Pinging

Post by pbix »

Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

WesC

Post by WesC »

Hi Pbix,
My routers light blinks constantly at the same pace.
I installed wireshark and when I see the first packet, I hold reset on the back of the router for 3 seconds. Sometimes more & sometimes less. The message I get is always "Could not get connection to the host on port 23: connect failed". Im not sure what I am looking at exactly in wireshark but there seems to be activity.
Thanks

behappy

Post by behappy »

how-to-reset-linksys-wrt54g

Use tftp download from DD-WRT (linksys tftp) in stead for built-in ftp command from OS

WesC

Post by WesC »

Thanks BeHappy...
I was unable to reset the router by holding the reset in the back for 30 seconds previously, although I did try it again at your mention. The power light flashes continuously. I also tried the 30/30/30 method. I once again used the linksys tftp software to load gargoyle 1.3.10 and it says "firmware was successfully upgraded" as usual but the power light continues to flash.

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

1.3.10 had a broadcom code change.

Do this.

Flash a DD-WRT build - any recommended, just to verify that the
router is still working correctly.

If the DD-WRT build works, flash build 1.3.9

If 1.3.9 works, 1.3.10+ versions will not work on your router.

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... f=3&t=1101

See that thread for the information about 1.3.10
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

WesC

Post by WesC »

Hi DoesItMatter,
I used the linksys tftp utility to push dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin on the router.
Same thing happens as usual. The power light flashes consistently (about 3 blinks per second) and the internet light which corresponds to the LAN port being used flashes rapidly during the upload.
The power light is still flashing as I type 10 minutes later.
Still pinging..

WesC

Post by WesC »

I knew it was not bricked (as in done for good) because it was pinging and I was able to transfer. The problem was I could not get into the router.

One or two of these things may not be necessary however this is what i did..
ip address of LAN Ethernet Card 192.168.1.2
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1

Make ethernet card run 10Mbps/ half-duplex

Router was pinging at 192.168.1.1

I used tftp first to upload the CFE_Updater-WRT54G-TM.bin
Every time I tried to upload the dd-wrt.v24-13064_mega_generic.bin it would try to erase the NVRAM and it would not get responses from the router. I installed & used DrayTek Router Tools Version 4.2.1 to upload the dd-wrt.v24-13064_mega_generic.bin and stunningly it started working! This was after hours of trying multiple firmware from DD-WRT to Tomato to the stock Linksys firmware. I bought this router new and within a half hour it was bricked so I was thinking of things I should have done getting pretty frustrated.
I said the heck with dd-wrt and immediately loaded the latest gargoyle from DD-WRT's firmware update page.

But of course I ordered a JTAG cable just 10 minutess before from ebay.. Doh!

So now it seems to be working properly although I have not tested the Wifi yet. I am happy have access to the firmware pages in the router but it looks fine. Even better than my other WRT54G-TM with 1.3.13 because it has the orange light with the key on the face is always lit orange.
Thanks everyone who replied.

WesC

SUCCESS: WRT54G Constant Blinking Power Light BUT Pinging

Post by WesC »

I could not get wifi working on the latest version of Gargoyle, but I went back one to 1.3.13 and wifi works fine.

Thanks again