[SOLVED] WR1043ND - wifi requires voodoo to switch channels

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

foreverstorm

[SOLVED] WR1043ND - wifi requires voodoo to switch channels

Post by foreverstorm »

Hi everyone,

I have been using Gargoyle on my TP-Link WR1043ND for a few days, and I noticed that it was stuck on 150mbps instead of 300mbps as the max rate (like it works in the original firmware). I though maybe if I change the channel from 1 to 8 it would be better but then it crashed the wireless altogether, and I had to use ethernet to try and set it back.

Long story short, even after reformatting to the original firmware and back to gargoyle, unless I go into client bridge mode and randomly fiddle with settings there first (connecting it to a 40mhz channel on my Cisco DPQ3925) it will crash the wifi when in gateway mode I change the channel. And I can never get 40mhz mode to work, it only connects like its on a 20mhz mode.

*edit*

I don't know if it's related, but I was using the router as a wireless client to the Cisco in the day preceding the problem as I didn't have a wifi card for my PC yet.

I was about to complain the attached 2gb usb key doesn't show up either but it has just turned up, after about 15mins...
Last edited by foreverstorm on Mon May 30, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doritos

Re: WR1043ND - wifi requires voodoo to switch channels

Post by doritos »

I think your problems are not related

Look http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... f=8&t=1340 thread and try my build

for the 40mhz problem, you'll have to add a option to the wireless config file (noscan = 1)

/etc/config/wireless

Code: Select all

config 'wifi-device' 'radio0'
        option 'type' 'mac80211'
        list 'ht_capab' 'SHORT-GI-40'
        list 'ht_capab' 'DSSS_CCK-40'
        option 'htmode' 'HT40+'
        option 'hwmode' '11ng'
        option 'noscan' '1'
        option 'channel' '3'

foreverstorm

Re: WR1043ND - wifi requires voodoo to switch channels

Post by foreverstorm »

Thanks doritos that worked. The signal strength has dropped about 10db but I guess that is part and parcel of dual channel?

doritos

Re: [SOLVED] WR1043ND - wifi requires voodoo to switch channels

Post by doritos »

Well, I don't know the inner workings of the 40mhz. According to 802n standard, you should not use 40Mhz if it will overlap another signal in the neighborhood, this option just tell "do not scan for overlapping signals, start the additional channel anyway". Some tools like InSSIDer can display the overlapping issue in a very easy to understand manner.

Did you try my build? How about stability?

fidjit

Post by fidjit »

Doritis haven't loaded yet but does your build show connected clients properly ?

foreverstorm

Post by foreverstorm »

I originally tried to just add noscan 1 and it didn't work, so then I reflashed with your build and it still didn't work.... then I realized it was because I had set channel 8 both times, so I switched to channel 1 (still on your build) and it was fine :)

I chose based on inssider, which was showing me about 10 other networks in the area and channel 1 was as clean as I could get. Actually thats odd the scan 40mhz rule is enforced - I think open wrt must be too pedantic about it because I see a couple of other neighbours routers around brazenly running 40mhz channels in the middle of the 2.4ghz spectrum, though I don't usually see more than -75db out of them... and the stock firmware runs it too.

I'm not sure if I really notice any other differences in the build though, I hadn't been using the original firmware for more than a couple of days. But its run for a while on your build excellently, no wifi problems.

fidjit

Post by fidjit »

Belbo can you see connected hosts with Doritos' build ?

doritos

Post by doritos »

fidjit wrote:Belbo can you see connected hosts with Doritos' build ?
I did nothing except building from a most recent SVN revision. If there are something on the SVN to fix that issue, it should be ok, but I did not add anything manually to the source.

Personally I don't use this page, so not sure if it displays the expected results

foreverstorm

Post by foreverstorm »

I don't think he's in this thread... but I have noticed that it works with doritos's build and didn't before, if that answers your question

fidjit

Post by fidjit »

foreverstorm wrote:
I don't think he's in this thread... but I have noticed that it works with doritos's build and didn't before, if that answers your question
Sorry foreverstorm, brain fart obviuosly. Thanks for your reply, that was addressed to your kind self :oops:

Have to now find the time to retry Gargoyling my WR1043 with Doritos' file :D