Download/Upload Quota with shaping

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Daybreak0

Download/Upload Quota with shaping

Post by Daybreak0 »

I have a network with 8-10 PC's both wireless and wired.

I am looking for a Router that will -

- Designate IP addressess based on MAC addresses.
- Allow me to set a download/upload limit based on amount not speed (ie give everyone 20GB download/upload each month) for each IP Address.
- Allow me to shape the speed if they go over their 20GB limit, so they are not cut off from the internet, but will get a slower speed.

No such beast seems to exist, and was pointed in this direction to Gargoyle firmware.

From what I can gather from the information about Gargoyle, the firmware has the ability to set Quotas, and the ability to set bandwidth usage speeds, however they are not actually combined in the sense, if someone goes over their quota, a qos is activated.

Can someone confirm I have that right, and if so, is there a wishlist I can add it too, or is this post enough?

Just to clarify - I would like to set quotas, but if they use up their quota, I do not want to cut them off entirely, I just want to slow them down significantly so they can get emails, and other little essentials.

Thank you
John

Daybreak0

Re: Download/Upload Quota with shaping

Post by Daybreak0 »

Just to add, I would see this as rule based in the QOS but then others may have a better idea on how to implement -
1) (first rule) QOS if Quota exceeds 20GB
2) (second rule) QOS (and no quota rule)

Second rule is activated if software gets past 1st rule.

Thnak you
John

Edited - oops should be other way around
1) (first rule) QOS (and no quota rule)
2) (second rule) QOS if Quota exceeds 20GB

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Can someone confirm I have that right,
Well I can confirm that you have it wrong. Gargoyle is very powerful in its combinations of Quotas and QoS. It can do all you outlined and more.

You should give it a try.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

AgeOfGargoyles

Post by AgeOfGargoyles »

I have a guy set-up my network much like your requirement. Gargoyle does the job.