Gargoyle IPv6 Testing

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

duyfken

Re: Gargoyle IPv6 Testing

Post by duyfken »

Lantis wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:29 am
I have access to a Belong and Telstra FTTP connection i could test on, but that may not reveal anything related to Superloop. But i can give it a go if you don't have much success.
It's not exclusive to Superloop. I just tested IPv6 in a secondary location with the same Archer C7v5 setup as the first router (but on AussieBB) and when the DNS servers are changed away from the "Default Servers specified by ISP", it doesn't get a IPv6 WAN address.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Interesting... and keeping the ISP DNS resolves your issue at home on Superloop as well?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

duyfken

Post by duyfken »

Lantis wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:16 am
Interesting... and keeping the ISP DNS resolves your issue at home on Superloop as well?
No, that's one of the weird parts... the setting have been sitting on the ISP DNS since (with some manual reboots to try and illicit an effect) but still no return to IPv6 connectivity.

duyfken

Post by duyfken »

Lantis wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:49 pm
It is hard to say whether this is a problem with Gargoyle or your network. If you had the time and effort to attempt to get it working via OpenWrt, and were successful, then i would be interested to compare configurations and see if we can get to the bottom of it.
Just fired up OpenWRT 19.07.8 on the router and dual stack IPv4/IPv6 works straight OTB. Diagnostic command output from that fresh install of OpenWRT 19.07.8 and subsequent fresh reflash of Gargoyle 1.13.X (Built 20220115-0541 git@54463e40) is in your PMs.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Thanks. Unfortunately they are pretty much identical. I checked and it doesn't appear to be the same mistake as for mvebu.

You could try doing an
ifup wan6
to try and kick start it. If that resulted in any positive i might have more to go on.

Its another one of those cases where if i had access to it in person i might be able to compare and figure it out. If you can figure out the missing link or reason on your own that would be useful.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

duyfken

Post by duyfken »

Lantis wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:05 am
You could try doing an
ifup wan6
to try and kick start it. If that resulted in any positive i might have more to go on.
ifup wan6 kicks it into life after a connection settings change! (Worked OTB coming from OpenWRT 19.07.8)

I do have to tick "Use Custom MAC Address" to use the usual WAN MAC Address with any connection setup change, seemingly when DHCPv6 is enabled, otherwise the WAN decides to use the same MAC address as the LAN (it should be literally one digit difference in the last octet, but LAN/WAN using the same means WAN won't connect at all)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

That's interesting...
I'm wondering if there's a race condition and it isn't coming up on its own.
Unlike regular OpenWrt we do an ifdown -a as part of the restart firewall process which might be upsetting things.
I was experiencing a similar problem to you but i don't experience it anymore. No idea why.
Note issue one on this todo list
https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargoyle/issues/883