Linksys wrt320n install

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

rob_nz

Linksys wrt320n install

Post by rob_nz »

Hi,
I am going to attempt to install Gargoyle on a Linksys wrt320n

This is not yet supported on OpenWRT, but is on dd-wrt.

Am I correct in my reading that I can install DD-WRT, then use fon to install Gargoyle from the broadcom trx file?

Which version would you recommend as most likely to succeed?

Rgds

pbix
Developer

Re: Linksys wrt320n install

Post by pbix »

Gargoyle is built on OpenWRT.

You should not expect success if you install Gargoyle on a router not also supported by OpenWRT.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

rob_nz

Post by rob_nz »

pbix wrote:Gargoyle is built on OpenWRT.

You should not expect success if you install Gargoyle on a router not also supported by OpenWRT.
Fair enough, the instructions had me a bit confused as in a couple of places it seemed to me to suggest you could install the generic image on dd-wrt.

On a slightly different note, according to wikipedia, dd-wrt was based on Openwrt kernel and does run ipkg, so would it be possible to install gargoyle as packages on dd-wrt?

TechMonkey

Post by TechMonkey »

I know I'm resurrecting a dead thread, but you can "turn" your 320n into an E2000 (http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=471183), which appears to work, if not actually supported.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/e2000

I've converted my 320, haven't tried OpenWRT yet.

pigstacho

Post by pigstacho »

Gonna resurrect the thread again...

Just installed Gargaoyle to WRT320N coming from DD-WRT, just flashed the generic broadcom image gargoyle_1.9.0-brcm47xx-generic-squashfs.trx

Since OpenWRT added support for it last year I thought it should work and it did :P

Haven't tested it thoroughly but all seems to be working fine.

Hope it helps the next one.

IT_Dad

Post by IT_Dad »

Pigstacho: when you say "coming from dd-wrt," did you mean that you went directly from a dd-wrt install to Gargoyle? I ask because I've seen it recommended in the install instructions that dd-wrt routers be flashed back to original vendor firmware before attempting an install of OpenWRT/Gargoyle.

Thanks,

Kurt

Dontcounttoday

Post by Dontcounttoday »

I know it's an old thread but I just came across this and wanted to know the same question.

I just flashed the newest version of the generic Broadcom Gargoyle image, directly from a DD-WRT install on my WRT320N.

It worked great. My only issue was that I was not getting an IP, but after unplugging the router and modem for a few minutes and then powering them back up I got the IP.

I am not savvy enough to test all the settings but so far everything is working great.