how-to Quick build

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

Lantis

Re: how-to Quick build

Post by Lantis »

The build should work on any environment that can install the dependencies. The host is largely inconsequential as the whole thing cross compiles for your target anyway.

As already mentioned, builds default to using max cores + 2.

Wifi you can enable different drivers and chipsets as you wish using the config file. For x86 most reliable pcie AP cards should be fine as long as they have good Linux driver support.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

ispyisail wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:03 pm
I've gotten used to starting the build and doing something else until it's done (usually build overnight, especially if I kick off parallel builds with different targets).
This is exactly where I'm at.

Start getting into exotic stuff you are bound to find problems.
I am not quite sure I would classify using a multithreaded makefile execution as exotic, but, running the top level make with the "-j" option seems to cause the entire build to execute using multithreading.

After installing python2, the last failure I had was unrelated to multithreading and related to my having allocated to little of an amount of disk space for the build (40GB).

I will attempt a multithreaded build again once I resolve all these other concerns first, at which point I will report my results.
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

+1

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

@Lantis

These build instructions no longer work, gets into a build loop.

Do you know what dependencies are now missing?

also these commands no longer work

Code: Select all

make FULL_BUILD=true ar71xx

Code: Select all

make FULL_BUILD=true ar71xx.usb_large

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

ar71xx is no longer a supported target - try ath79 (which supercedes ar71xx) instead. ath79 also now has only 2 sub-targets: default and nand.

The active targets are represented as subdirectories of targets/, with each active sub-target being represented as a subdirectory of targets/<target>/profiles/ - e.g. ath79.default is represented as targets/ath79/profiles/default.

Just specifying the target will build all sub-targets starting with the default sub-target (which exists for all targets).

python-dev and swig are newish dependencies I've encountered; I vaguely recall there may have been another only for x86 but don't remember what it might have been. Python should now also be v3.x rather than v2.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

I don't believe that documentation is 100% up to date :(

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

pythonic wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:32 pm
I don't believe that documentation is 100% up to date :(
yep, your comment would be in line with my last experience

Something is still missing

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

I just found a reference to the missing x86 related build dependency I noted above: it was libelf-dev

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

What’s the build error? Would help narrow it down too.
It shouldn’t be looping under this:
make FULL_BUILD=true ath79.default

Once it fails, re run as
make BUILD_THREADS=1 ath79.default

This should then make the error that is stopping the build the last thing on screen (as it now runs single threaded).
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.