My refurbished Archer C7 v5 unstable w/ 1.12.0

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Ghost

My refurbished Archer C7 v5 unstable w/ 1.12.0

Post by Ghost »

I have been using Gargoyle FW for years on my TP-link (TL-WR1043ND ver 1.8). It is showing its age so I recently purchased a refurbished TP-link Archer C7 V5 on Amazon and subsequently flashed it with 1.12.0. It worked somewhat for a few hours as the AP for my LAN/wireless bridge network. The router kept rebooting non stop especially when attempted to save settings. Also, I couldn't save many settings efficiently. It would take forever and many times nothing was saved. It was hit or miss. And some features didn't work like Web monitoring. After many hours of being frustrated :oops: :( with 1.12.0, I downgraded to 1.11.0. Like magic, all problems disappeared with this version. It's now stable and runs smoothly like butter. :lol:

agrohe21

Re: My refurbished Archer C7 v5 unstable w/ 1.12.0

Post by agrohe21 »

From the list of supported routers, v5 is not there.

https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/do ... ed_routers

I would recommend against buying a new router not on that list. I recently got a refurb WRT32x for $79 on Amazon.
Linksys WRT32x Wired Gateway, Orbi RBK20 Wifi
Linksys WRT32x Wired Gateway, Orbi RBK50 Wifi

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

True, TP-link Archer C7 V5 is not listed on the official Gargoyle hardware list, but others here have successfully flashed it with this file: gargoyle_1.12.0-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v5-squashfs-factory.bin...And it is stable with 1.11.0. I don't think you really read my post. I think you quickly glanced it, thus missed the main issue. How do you explain this discrepancy? :cry: :?:

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I would try a reset first, before downgrade

agrohe21

Post by agrohe21 »

Ghost, I did read your post but it is hard to troubleshoot something that is unsupported. I have learned in tech to go with the flow of what is supported by the volunteer committers. Asking them to help troubleshoot a non-supported configuration in their spare time is not really fair. There are enough variances in the actual supported configurations to keep them very busy. If you are within the 30 days on Amazon, you might be able to return for a refund and get a supported router.
Linksys WRT32x Wired Gateway, Orbi RBK20 Wifi
Linksys WRT32x Wired Gateway, Orbi RBK50 Wifi

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Hello,

I'm happy with my refurbished Archer C7 V5, running Gargoyle 1.11.0. It is stable after almost two weeks. I got it for a great price from Amazon. I got lucky because this is a brand new router that has been labeled "refurbished." There are no marks or any signs that it was used. The only thing is that I didn't get a fancy box/ manual. I think some poor soul brought it, then returned it because the person couldn't set it up. And since it is a returned item, it illegal to resell it as new in the USA; thus, labeled "refurbished." Thanks for your suggestion... but, I will keep it and just wait for the next Gargoyle upgrade.