DHCP IP range changes when static IPs are assigned

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

krc4267

DHCP IP range changes when static IPs are assigned

Post by krc4267 »

First, my network details:

Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
DHCP Range (in the configuration interface, at least): 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.128
Groups of static IPs on:
192.168.10.x
192.168.11.x
(...)
And the router's IP is 192.168.1.1.

This is done to facilitate easier-to-read network documentation as well as easier-to-remember quotas.

If I don't have any static IPs set, the DHCP range sets correctly. However, if I add static IPs, the interface still says: https://pasteboard.co/IRdVXg8.png, but the actual range is 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.128. This is also reflected in the auto-generated dnsmasq configuration file.

This wouldn't ordinarily be an issue, except that I had a strange configuration gremlin in the form of my WAN being on 192.168.0.x. That caused problems. Fortunately, since the WAN is also under my control, I was able to change it over to 10.0.0.x, which made my system functional. (though, to be fair, if that wasn't practical, I could have changed my gargoyle system instead..) I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, however, if it isn't, it isn't documented anywhere that I could find. Is there a reason that it isn't possible to change the 3rd byte of the IP range for DHCP?

Lantis

Re: DHCP IP range changes when static IPs are assigned

Post by Lantis »

It's mostly about simplicity. The system was designed for simple, small, dhcp allocations. A wider range like yours is not really covered.

It should be possible to fix, but it would be better if someone who puts this type of network into practice and has some coding skills could provide appropriate patches.

Out of interest, do you find any issues with other parts/functions of Gargoyle when using (for want of a better term) "wide DHCP"?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

krc4267

Re: DHCP IP range changes when static IPs are assigned

Post by krc4267 »

Other than that, it works perfectly! I've had no issues that stem from the DHCP setup. I've had some silly problems (see my first thread on this forum), but in general it's been the most reliable part of my network.