Use QOS together with quotas with throttling

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

robert7k

Post by robert7k »

Is it a limited because the way those functions are implemented?
Or there is a way to throttle bandwidth to something slow when a certain user exceeds his allowance?

Currently if i enable qos the option to limit the download speed disappears

I want to have a soft limit rather than stopping internet access (so abusers can still send messages, but not stream videos/backup/...).

It's possible to achieve using 2 routers (one with QOS, the other one with quotas) but i prefer to use just a single router (I already nave a separate router acting just as a modem and a separate APs so i prefer not to have more equipment)

I guess this question isn't new, however search doesn't work

Lantis

Re: Use QOS together with quotas with throttling

Post by Lantis »

If you have qos enabled, the throttling option switches from a speed to a qos classification.
So if you create a qos class with a maximum speed of what you want to limit to, then you can achieve the same thing.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

robert7k

Post by robert7k »

thanks for the answer.
Unfortunately i cannot find an option to limit bandwidth per user in qos settings, it's available only in quotas just when qos is off

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You create a qos class with a maximum speed of say 1mbps.
Then in the quotas setting you apply that class to whoever you want to throttle under whichever conditions.
Set it up in QoS, apply it in quotas.

Note that you need at least 2 classes:
- default (no limit)
- slow (max 1mbps)

So that fast traffic has somewhere to go.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

robert7k

Post by robert7k »

Sorry, i didn't explain the whole thing properly.
I want to use "All Individual Hosts Without Explicit Quotas" option.
So it's expected to limit the speed of each user individually to a slower speed (not combined).
Or i didn't understand properly how those things work?

I guess this can be achieved by creating manually a quota + class for every ip in dhcp range separately, but i prefer to have an easier way (with QOS off it's just a few clicks).

I've tried to cheat by editing etc/config/... files directly (and rebooting) but this just causes the internet to get blocked completely

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I don't believe it works that way.
Yes separate qos classes will make that happen.

imbaSD

Post by imbaSD »

robert7k wrote:Sorry, i didn't explain the whole thing properly.
I want to use "All Individual Hosts Without Explicit Quotas" option.
So it's expected to limit the speed of each user individually to a slower speed (not combined).
Or i didn't understand properly how those things work?

I guess this can be achieved by creating manually a quota + class for every ip in dhcp range separately, but i prefer to have an easier way (with QOS off it's just a few clicks).

I've tried to cheat by editing etc/config/... files directly (and rebooting) but this just causes the internet to get blocked completely
At mu GUEST network i made a Quotas with QoS class limited to 2000kbps down and 200kbps up for all devices that are connected (also for safety i Isolate the Wireless Client)

in case you want this this is my settings that are work fine

btw at DHCP range i assign new devices from 192...100 to 200 and the rest are mine known devices with static ip between 1 to 99

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ElLpRI ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15kzdDt ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UTrhkm ... sp=sharing
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 @1.12

robert7k

Post by robert7k »

Another attempt to overcome this limitation.

I've created a quota for the entire local network with a tiny traffic limit and throttle bandwidth to 1MB/sec (8 mbit) (my connection is actually faster - around 30-50mbit) - basically to work as the qos speed limit.

I've created another quota - for Others (Individual) and throttle the bandwidth to 0.5MB/sec (4mbit).

i test this setup with 2 computers.

before exceeding the Others (Individual) quota if i'm heavily downloading on one of the computers ping to the modem rises from 1ms up to 300-500ms on both computers.

When one of the computers has exceeded the quota but the other one not yet - heavily downloading on one of them doesn't affect the other (it slows down the ping only of himself)

When both computers exceeded their Others (Individual) again if i'm heavily downloading on one of the computers ping to the modem rises from 1ms up to 300-500ms on both computers.

And another problem:
After exceeding the quota if one of the computers has 1 download and the second computer has 9 downloads running the first one is getting less than 0.4 mbit while the second one is getting around 3mbit -
The throttling is combined (and not individual) and it isn't spread even between the users.

Conclusion: Don't use Gargoyle quota throttling - it's horrible.
Is this a bug or expected behaviour?
So quotas system cannot limit bandwidth PER USER?

Next i'll try enabling QOS and creating an individual quota+QOS download class + QOS upload class for every IP (a few hundreds of them - it WILL take time) and hope it does work better (a single user slowing down the entire network is not an option for me)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Having hundreds of classes and rules won't give you a good result. You need to rethink your strategy.

The way qos works is that if 2 devices are sharing a class, they should on average get the same bandwidth. It fluctuates up and down individually, but over the long term it is equal.

I think qos will give you a better result, but only if used properly.