SFTP for Gargoyle?

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

stuartbh

SFTP for Gargoyle?

Post by stuartbh »

Gargoyle users and developers,

Is there a manner by which to install an SFTP server onto Gargoyle? I have been able to scp but I want to use CyberDuck to move a bunch of files all at one time and wanted a standard SFTP server.

I did both an opkg and gpkg search for sftp but found nothing. Have I missed something?

Thanks in advance and happy turkey day to all.
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

ispyisail

Re: SFTP for Gargoyle?

Post by ispyisail »

ftp server is built in already

Plug is a USB drive and mount then configure

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I'd recommend SCP as it's available by default, but if you want to use SFTP to interact with the whole filesystem (not just shares), install
openssh-sftp-server
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

ispyisail wrote:ftp server is built in already

Plug is a USB drive and mount then configure
You are probably not a security person, but it is worth knowing that ftp actually sends passwords in cleartext. However, I did notice one can connect anonymously, so I am going to try that. If that works then I am okay for now, an SMB share might work also.
Last edited by stuartbh on Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

Lantis wrote:I'd recommend SCP as it's available by default, but if you want to use SFTP to interact with the whole filesystem (not just shares), install
openssh-sftp-server
root@wrt3200acm:~# gpkg list openssh-sftp-server
root@wrt3200acm:~# opkg list openssh-sftp-server
root@wrt3200acm: #

What did I do wrong?
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

did you gpkg update first?
And you'll need to set appropriate upstream package repositories. Depending on what version you're running, there may not be many...
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

Lantis wrote:did you gpkg update first?
And you'll need to set appropriate upstream package repositories. Depending on what version you're running, there may not be many...
Apparently not...and I met with rather rapid success after having done so. I am not sure it is a function I will need a lot, but, my router has plenty of space for that package so I just installed it.

However, the evolution did get me to realize I could set up an SMB share too. I just upgraded my 32GB USB stick on the router to a 256GB stick, so I am putting some useful stuff on it now.

Thank you.
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

You are probably not a security person,
Gargoyle is an evolution, when gargoyle was designed 10 years ago http was the norm

Now everything is going https/sftp .....................

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

ispyisail wrote:
You are probably not a security person,
Gargoyle is an evolution, when gargoyle was designed 10 years ago http was the norm

Now everything is going https/sftp .....................
Let me state that I do appreciate your taking the time to respond to my posting on Thanksgiving (though it was not an emergent issue for me to solve instantaneously), thank you for sure.

It is entirely reasonable to set forth that when HTTP, FTP, and other less secure protocols were the state of the art, this is why we used them. However, that does not justify that we ought be telling people to ride a horse and buggy on the Interstate in today's times either.

The fact that at one time an insecure protocol was the norm and now a more secure protocol is the norm, why would that justify your telling someone to use the insecure protocol?

With all due respect, if you knew that FTP was an insecure protocol (I presumed you did not, but it seems you might have) and you recommended using it knowing that, the activity of doing so was downright irresponsible.

Why was it so irresponsible?

It is instructive that ought presume and consider that less capable users will read these postings one day and they may not respond to them and just take them at face value.

In fact, perhaps there is a powerful argument warranted in pursuance of exacting the extirpation of FTP from Gargoyle, especially given the ostensible space limitations for firmware on some lower end routers and the fact that someone could install (if desirious of doing so for some reason), as we need not refrain from compiling FTP and having in the repositories. These instigates coupled with SFTP being instantiate of a far superior protocol implementation from a security purview does impel considering such a scenario.
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Happy Thanksgiving

In New Zealand we don't do thanksgiving but you have given us "Black Friday"

Shops have started going crazy with "Black Friday"

I have taken notes for my advice for next time, you are correct of cause.

Thanks