WRT1200AC configuration restore fails

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

MickO

WRT1200AC configuration restore fails

Post by MickO »

Hello all.
Device Name:Gargoyle
Gargoyle Version:1.10.0
Model:Linksys WRT1900ACv2

Changing a couple of settings and saving them, caused my WRT1200AC to completely loose its configuration. Fine I thought, i'll just restore from my last backup of a few months ago. Well this didn't go as planned and caused another lose of configuration, if only the initial password and ISP settings.
OK, I thought I would try again, so after basic password and ISP settings, I backup and restored. Nope. that didn't work either.
So now I have the long slog configuring Gargoyle through the small hours...
So what gives? It's been working fine for months. Why is the router/Gargoyle going tits up on a configuration restore?

MickO

Re: WRT1200AC configuration restore fails

Post by MickO »

Well for some reason, looks like I either reloaded Gargoyle WRT1900 firmware, or its been like that since I first loaded Gargoyle onto the WRT1200. Either way, that's been corrected and now have the correct firmware. BUT...
Linksys firmware loads, runs, backups and restores fine. Buggered if I can get the Gargoyle firmware to backup and restore. I have another WRT1200, again loaded with Gargoyle, within a month of each other, and that appears to be fine. I'm not going to touch that one, just in case it double's my problems.
Just can't see my way around the problem at the moment, despite numerous tries. resets, restarts, reloads, etc.

MickO

Post by MickO »

Looks like I have managed to correct the problem. After reflashing with Linksys firmware, I waited for a few days and flashed with 1.9. Entered all the settings again and waited a few more days after proving the settings survived a cold and hot restart. Waited a few more days and upgraded to 1.10.
All seems OK, so now going to leave it alone!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Good to see it got fixed :)
Sounds like something strange went on that’s for sure
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

MickO

Post by MickO »

Well bugger me. it's done it again.
Been running 1.11.0 fine also with OpenVPN for months.
Yesterday, I decided to close down the direct open ports for various things, and use OpenVPN to access the LAN. I disabled and removed two open ports, saved the config and checked. Ohhh great scot. Only half of my config seems to be there.
Long story short, it ended up with me recovering a bricked router with TTL and then loading up the Linksys images. Now I get a incompatible config version caption when trying to load Gargoyle. Looks like another long night loading up earlier versions if I can find them and upgrading from there. Oh my head hurts...

MickO

Post by MickO »

Doh! was trying to use the config restore instead of the firmware upload page. Well it was a long night yesterday and only had 5 hours sleep. That's my excuse anyway. :oops: :oops: :oops: