Unexpected wifi connection from subnet

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ray999

Re: Unexpected wifi connection from subnet

Post by ray999 »

From reading the main router log it seems there is a DHCPv6 request which is not supported then the static ip is dropped for 10 mins. This is when the wifi hands out an ip to the gargoyle router. 10 mins later the static ip is available again and the cycle repeats until there are no more DHCPv6 requests.
So is there any way to stop gargoyle from using the wifi to connect to the main router? I don't know a lot about this stuff, just enough to be dangerous.
Again thanks for your help.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

screen shots please

ray999

Post by ray999 »

Here are some gargoyle screenshots
https://imgur.com/a/SLeFbkx

ray999

Post by ray999 »

Here is a bit of the main router log
https://imgur.com/a/rouSPoj

Thanks

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I don't really understand what or why is happening.
I still don't think it is related to the Wi-Fi.

If you disable the access point does it still occur?

Additionally, why is Wi-Fi still active on the upstream modem/router? Assume it now serves no purpose?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

From what I see, the guessing IP address that is reserved by MAC address 1c:9e:46:af:56:4b

Either turn off the DHCP server on the main router (192.168.0.1 not Gargoyle router) or insert an IP reservation: 192.168.0.2 on MAC: 30:b5:c2:b0:2d:53 or move the IP address allocation approx. 192.168.0.3-192.168.0.254
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

ray999

Post by ray999 »

Thanks for the replies.
Maybe I should explain why I did this in the first place. I had not used the gargoyle router for about 2 years. I have been using the Telstra supplied gateway and now with NBN the telstra Frointier gateway. It was working fine.
Then we got an enexpected visitor and he is just a download and game nut. Short story is that he was killing our internet with torrents, xbox and playstation. He only connects through wifi. So the idea was to install the gargoyle and change the ssid over to it so he did not notice anything but I could then limit the bandwidth and have some protection of a different subnet. This has been successful although I still get some problems when I am streaming and he has the game consoles on, even in standby.
So I want the Telstra gateway to look after us, dhcp wired and wifi (different ssid and I have set some static ip for some of our devices) and the gargoyle to look after him, dhcp wifi only. I do have a switch on the lan serving the gargoyle and some media devices.
Is there any value in setting static ip for everything?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

For Gargoyle to work as designed data has the be

WAN << >> LAN

I think your setup is

WAN <<ISP Router>> LAN -- LAN <<Gargoyle>> LAN

you need

WAN <<ISP Router>> LAN -- WAN <<Gargoyle>> LAN

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

I understand the involvement of methods together:

a. ISP <-> WAN [Modem/Router, Subnet 192.168.0.0/24] <-> WiFi [eg SSID: NETGEAR09]
b. ISP <-> WAN [Modem/Router, Subnet 192.168.0.0/24] <-> LAN1 <-> WAN [TL-WR1043ND, Subnet 192.168.1.0/24] <-> WiFi [eg SSID: NETGEAR09]

The problem is that both the modem and Gargoyle broadcast WiFi and probably the same SSID, so that the user does not see the change.

Connection b. is correct - but if you want to have the main modem according to connection a., you must have a different SSID and guide the user to connection b.
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

ray999

Post by ray999 »

I have setup b. lan to wan see previous posts. I have different ssid for each router and on different channels. I did change the ssid from the main router to the gargoyle router and made a new one for the main router. The setup seem to work fine, just this wifi ip on the main router being given to gargoyle i just did not expect.