Linksys WRT32X Smart Switch/Plug Issue

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

foiltravis

Linksys WRT32X Smart Switch/Plug Issue

Post by foiltravis »

I have been running Gargoyle 1.11.0 on my Netgear WNDR4300 and everything has been working perfect. My only problem was the overhead of Gargoyle on this old router slows my connection considerably.

I just purchased a Linksys WRT32X and am having a problem getting my Wemo switches and my KMC plugs to work with it. I am Running Gargoyle 1.11.0, all of my other wifi devices work fine (over 20 various devices). Some of my Wemo devices show up as being connected under Connected Hosts but they do not show up within their respective apps. Any ideas on how to correct this?

A bit more info-- I booted the router on it's factory image and was able to get the KMC plugs configured and working but not the Wemo Switches. I loaded DD-WRT and got the Wemo switches to work but not the KMC plugs.

I have read in the forums of some issues with this router and some IOT devices but I could not find anything specific.

I love that this router has two partitions, makes switching and testing easier.
Texas, USA
Netgear WNDR4300 / Gargoyle
Netgear WNDR4500V3 / Stock
Linksys WRT32X / Gargoyle

Lantis

Re: Linksys WRT32X Smart Switch/Plug Issue

Post by Lantis »

It sounds like the known issue with the wifi driver on this device.
You can setup a secondary interface with no WMM enabled for these IOT devices only (would need to be done at command line).
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

foiltravis

Post by foiltravis »

Hi Lantis: Thanks for the reply! I am not a Linux person but I do have Putty and can access the command line. I Searched this site for secondary interface and I did not find anything to help me with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Texas, USA

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

I don't know if WMM will help you, but you can try it.

ssh commands to disable WMM:

Code: Select all

uci set wireless.ap_g.wmm=0
uci commit wireless
wifi
ssh commands to back enable WMM:

Code: Select all

uci delete wireless.ap_g.wmm=0
uci commit wireless
wifi
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Start with the above suggestion, if that allows them to connect then we’ll look at separate interfaces.
Note that with WMM disabled you won’t get 802.11n speeds
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

foiltravis

Post by foiltravis »

Hi Lantis & RomanHK: Disabling WMM worked :D , the devices I was having trouble with can now connect and their apps work. A couple of questions..

1. Does this slow both the 2.4 & 5ghz bands?
2. Is this permanent or will it go away if I reboot/unpower the router?
3. I don't know what your reference to setting up separate interfaces is but I am excited to find out.

I am not terribly worried about the slower WIFI speed, it would be nice to have full speed capability but my data intensive devices are connected by wire.

You guys are terrific!!! I had been reading forums and working on this for 3 days, I was getting ready to box this thing up and send it back. I hated to do that since I love the download speeds this router provides. I have 300mb service and running either Venom or Gargoyle I get around 275 down. I do not have QOS enabled.
Texas, USA

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

1. This setting only affects 2.4GHz WiFi, 5GHz is intact.
2. The settings will remain until reset to default or changes made through the GUI - you must re-apply the commands via ssh after making changes (the settings will remain after the router reboots).
3. It is possible to separate a separate SSID for non-WMM devices, but it is much more complex and not compatible with the Gargoyle GUI.
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

Rog66

Post by Rog66 »

Set up the guest network on the 2.4 GHz band and set the WMM flag to '0' on the guest network only. Then connect your smartswitch to the guest network. I do this and my normal 2.4GHz network still shows full connection speeds. It also means you can isolate the smartswitches from the other clients on your network.

LANTIS - am not at home at the moment and would edit my wireless config file myself to do this - whats the UCI command to set the WMM flag for the guest ssid once its setup?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yes as per Rog’s suggestion, using the guest network from Gargoyle and then modifying it would be easiest/best. But as noted by Roman, if you make a subsequent change in the GUI it may be overwritten.

@rog66
To make the change to guest network, use as per Roman’s command above, but iface reference will be “ap_gn_g”. I believe the “gn” stands for guest network, and the g is from the 802.11g days i.e. 2.4GHz

foiltravis

Post by foiltravis »

Well I thought I had this done but I guess not. I took the suggestion of enabling the guest network and running the command against it to disable WMM. I was able to connect a couple of the devices that have been giving me trouble so I was thrilled.

I removed my working Gargoyle router and installed the new one (WRT32X). I quickly discovered that my normal 2.4ghz network was not working but the 2.4ghz guest network did work. If I disable the guest network then the other 2.4 network works. I decided I could live with that so I left the guest network disabled. At first it seemed everything was working correctly but I have noticed some instability issues. I have a total of 44 devices connected (7 wired, 37 wireless) 30 are on the 2.4ghz connection. I have a tablet and phone that sometimes will connect to the 2.4 connection but sometimes they keep connecting and disconnecting. I did remove a couple of the 2.4ghz devices and that seemed to fix the problem with the tablet and phone connecting, of course it could have been a coincidence.

I did reissue the commands to remove WMM from this connection and based on the speed of my connections I believe this is working correctly.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? Is there anything that would limit the number of connections on the 2.4ghz connection?
Texas, USA