Experimental build of Gargoyle 1.11.0 for ipq806x architecture routers

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

pythonic

Re: Experimental build of Gargoyle 1.11.0 for ipq806x architecture routers

Post by pythonic »

Hmmm... just a brainstorming thought on this non-working WAN - I got a couple of surprises when I used an OPNSense router recently: using a PPPoE WAN I had to explicitly enable 1) updating the routing table and DNS configuration and 2) flushing the NAT table when the PPPoE WAN changed state.

Until I enabled 1) I had similar symptoms: I could ping by IP address (but not name) from the router but not from LAN clients...

So... is for some reason the R7800 build not updating the routing table and/or DNS settings as the WAN state changes?
Would require dumping the routing table and DNS config after the WAN is up to get an idea... (DHCP setup initially at least as PPPoE isn't negotiating for @mlira1).

tester

Post by tester »

mlira1 wrote:WAN connection under PPPoE appeared to be successful at the GUI, but I couldn't estabilish any connection
pythonic wrote:just a brainstorming thought on this non-working WAN
I think it's the same bug as here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11829&start=80#p51660
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11829&start=160#p52111
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11829&start=180#p53152

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

Thanks for the connections - I think there's a good chance you might be on the money.

I don't think the /etc/ppp/if-up.d/modemaccess.sh file is necessarily implicated as described in the second link though: my C2600 brought the PPPoE link up first go with that file untouched and again after I edited it to set ROUTER_IP (per this guide) so I could log my bridged modem's connection statistics to a PC on the LAN.

One other recommendation I've seen, particularly in relation to Tomato family firmwares, is to routinely flush the browser cache when making major changes - particularly after reflashes. That may come down to how those firmwares' web interfaces package the various content. I know from long, bitter, experience that at least older versions of IE cache JS files long after updates are available. I've had far fewer issues of this sort with Firefox, but I don't use Chrome much so don't have any feel for how that behaves.

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

pythonic wrote:I don't think the /etc/ppp/if-up.d/modemaccess.sh file is necessarily implicated as described in the second link though: my C2600 brought the PPPoE link up first go with that file untouched and again after I edited it to set ROUTER_IP (per this guide) so I could log my bridged modem's connection statistics to a PC on the LAN.
If you connect to a PPPoE server from Mikrotik, then it is difficult to create a link - it is not an xDSL modem in bridge mode.
Here I would see the remedy using the check mark button: Accessing your ADSL modem In Bridge Mode? yes/no
pythonic wrote:One other recommendation I've seen, particularly in relation to Tomato family firmwares, is to routinely flush the browser cache when making major changes - particularly after reflashes. That may come down to how those firmwares' web interfaces package the various content. I know from long, bitter, experience that at least older versions of IE cache JS files long after updates are available. I've had far fewer issues of this sort with Firefox, but I don't use Chrome much so don't have any feel for how that behaves.
Yes, I recommend here, if the pages are not loaded, it is a good idea to clear the browser cache using a utility (e.g. CCleaner).
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

RomanHK wrote:If you connect to a PPPoE server from Mikrotik, then it is difficult to create a link - it is not an xDSL modem in bridge mode.
Do you mean directly connecting to a Microtik router port?

I am connecting to a Microtik PPPoE server via bridged modem - albeit that the Microtik is on the far side of a VDSL2 link and a heap of backhaul network (~25ms ping to it)...

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

pythonic wrote:
RomanHK wrote:If you connect to a PPPoE server from Mikrotik, then it is difficult to create a link - it is not an xDSL modem in bridge mode.
Do you mean directly connecting to a Microtik router port?

I am connecting to a Microtik PPPoE server via bridged modem - albeit that the Microtik is on the far side of a VDSL2 link and a heap of backhaul network (~25ms ping to it)...
Not exactly. My Map:
ISP (Mikrotik) 5GHz AP + PPPoE Server <-> 5GHz client in bridge mode (UBNT - Managed by ISP) to RJ45 <-> RJ45 WAN + PPPoE client (Router Turris Omnia with Gargoyle) to LAN RJ45 + WiFi AP <-> RJ45 PC1,2,3... + WiFi clients
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

I have uploaded an updated build archive and added some change information to the first post. Note that the updated archive has the same name as the original - sorry, expediency rules at the moment :oops:

The new build incorporates a patch to the IMQ module loading arrangements (discussed here) which hopefully resolves the WAN access problems @mlira1 experienced on his R7800 with the original build. I have briefly tested this new build on a Netgear D7800 - I was able to install the D7800 factory image via the OEM firmware upgrade function after choosing to proceed with the update despite a warning being displayed describing the firmware file as an older version (this was on OEM firmware v1.0.1.47, which seems to be the latest at time of writing). The D7800 now has a couple of days uptime with a PPPoE WAN with no apparent issues.

The Archer C2600 running the original build had just short of 50 days uptime when I replaced it with the D7800, so the original build has been stable on that router in my lightly stressed usage.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Thanks, I had been meaning to point out that this issue was “fixed” and that you might like to try again.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

mlira1

Post by mlira1 »

pythonic wrote:I have uploaded an updated build archive and added some change information to the first post. Note that the updated archive has the same name as the original - sorry, expediency rules at the moment :oops:

The new build incorporates a patch to the IMQ module loading arrangements (discussed here) which hopefully resolves the WAN access problems @mlira1 experienced on his R7800 with the original build. I have briefly tested this new build on a Netgear D7800 - I was able to install the D7800 factory image via the OEM firmware upgrade function after choosing to proceed with the update despite a warning being displayed describing the firmware file as an older version (this was on OEM firmware v1.0.1.47, which seems to be the latest at time of writing). The D7800 now has a couple of days uptime with a PPPoE WAN with no apparent issues.

The Archer C2600 running the original build had just short of 50 days uptime when I replaced it with the D7800, so the original build has been stable on that router in my lightly stressed usage.
I have just flashed the new build on my R7800 and the bug is fixed! :mrgreen: thank you! This will be my daily driver and I'll report any issues from now on.

mlira1

Post by mlira1 »

Just noticed something. I have a 300/150Mbit/s PPPoE Fiber connection, and it seems that Gargoyle is only reaching around 100Mbit/s upload, and 170Mbit/s download without QoS (with QoS download goes down to 100 and upload stays the same). B bufferbloat on DSLReports with QoS either on or off.

I wonder if you already have a clue of what may be limiting speeds and if any logs would be useful.