Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 5

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

RomanHK

Re: Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 5

Post by RomanHK »

Lantis wrote:
RomanHK wrote:Hello,
do you think I could ask for an image on the Turris Omnia router ( https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/turris/t ... rris_omnia )?
Please.

Roman
Try this, but i make no guarantees that it will even boot.
http://lantisproject.com/gargoyle_mvebu/
Hello,
I already know what it is like. Gargoyle does not know the F2FS file system and OpenWrt is made on Omnia F2FS - /dev/loop0 is an F2FS partition format (the original Turris has a BTRFS file system). So you can add the F2FS file system to the image? Thank you in advance.

Roman
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

mckman

Post by mckman »

Lantis wrote:No you wouldn’t be able to in that case as the kernel version (and vermagic) have changed.

In that case yes building off the older version is a better idea if that is your intent.
Although sometimes the act of including an extra kmod can change the vermagic as well, so it will depend how it goes.
From Gargoyle you should be able to see which commit it was built from on the Overview page. If you tell me what this is I can confirm exactly which version it came from.
The Gargoyle version shows as

Code: Select all

Built 20181129-0147 git@f91f8f10
Also, how would I go about building against the previous commit? Is it possible to still download the previous commit somehow?
Netgear WNDR3700 v1
Netgear WNDRMAC v2
TP-Link MR3020 v1.8
TP-Link WR743ND v1

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

So you’ll want
1d0b52e1e718ec1ff150223d51306262edb33893
Which should be able to be referenced by 1d0b52e

From the git repository you have cloned, if you type
git checkout 1d0b52e
This should switch to that particular commit.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ghorvath

Post by ghorvath »

Seems to work fine on Youku YK1, upgraded from RC2 with preserving settings.

There is one thing, though. I had to restart the router several times until it was willing to act as a gateway for the machines on my LAN. The router itself was accessing the internet, DNS seemed to work fine, but ping 8.8.8.8 was only receiving packets if I gave the command from the gargoyle router, and not if I gave it on any of my local machines.

Trying to reboot any my local machines didn't help at all. There were no configuration changes on any of my local machines or on the router between firmware upgrade. Finally, 3 reboots of the router seemed to fix the problem.

I am wondering if this is intended behaviour, or gargoyle specific problem, or maybe some general LAN settings problem, or something else? Anyone ever experience anything similar?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

ghorvath wrote:Seems to work fine on Youku YK1, upgraded from RC2 with preserving settings.

There is one thing, though. I had to restart the router several times until it was willing to act as a gateway for the machines on my LAN. The router itself was accessing the internet, DNS seemed to work fine, but ping 8.8.8.8 was only receiving packets if I gave the command from the gargoyle router, and not if I gave it on any of my local machines.

Trying to reboot any my local machines didn't help at all. There were no configuration changes on any of my local machines or on the router between firmware upgrade. Finally, 3 reboots of the router seemed to fix the problem.

I am wondering if this is intended behaviour, or gargoyle specific problem, or maybe some general LAN settings problem, or something else? Anyone ever experience anything similar?
Funnily enough, i saw this exact same behaviour yesterday.
I've never seen it before that, or seen it since.

If someone found a way to reproduce the issue every time, i will fix it.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ghorvath

Post by ghorvath »

Lantis wrote: Funnily enough, i saw this exact same behaviour yesterday.

I've seen it exactly once before with RC2. But that was not right after the firmware upgrade to RC2, but rather about a week later. I think it happened when the router rebooted after an electrical shortage. Exact same symptoms (internet on router, no internet on local machines), and one software reboot fixed it.

If it helps, I am behind an ADSL modem/router, so the router is not directly accessing the internet, but through another router from the ISP.

mckman

Post by mckman »

Lantis wrote:So you’ll want
1d0b52e1e718ec1ff150223d51306262edb33893
Which should be able to be referenced by 1d0b52e

From the git repository you have cloned, if you type
git checkout 1d0b52e
This should switch to that particular commit.
I was able to rebuild the firmware and related packages using your instructions. However, I now get the following error when I attempt to install one of the packages,

Code: Select all

ERROR: Dependency kernel (= 4.9.138-1-b28a46f9d585792975d871010bc514ab) of package kmod-input-evdev is installed,
                but has incompatible version 4.9.138-1-85e8fda623404c88f5e3962153b3debd

I tried to change to the commit with f91f8f10 and rebuild everything but still get the same error with the generated package. While in the SSH session on the router, I did notice that the banner states that the associated commit is a8b292a but could not locate this commit in the repository. Not sure what I'm missing here. :?

Update: After some further research, I understand now that the vermagic is what's changed as you previously stated could happen. I'm now trying to figure out how I can maintain the same vermagic after adding the kernel modules i'm needing.
Last edited by mckman on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Netgear WNDR3700 v1
Netgear WNDRMAC v2
TP-Link MR3020 v1.8
TP-Link WR743ND v1

buggers

Post by buggers »

Lantis wrote:
ghorvath wrote:Seems to work fine on Youku YK1, upgraded from RC2 with preserving settings.

Funnily enough, i saw this exact same behaviour yesterday.

I can confirm ghorvath's experience with my WNDR3700v1 twice after flashing different RCs from the latest 1.11.X series without preserving settings.
Unfortunately, I didn't manage to pinpoint the cause for this behaviour.
Still, if there is anything you would like me to test before the final Gargoyle version, I'd be more than happy to :mrgreen:

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

Lantis wrote:
RomanHK wrote:Hello,
do you think I could ask for an image on the Turris Omnia router ( https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/turris/t ... rris_omnia )?
Please.

Roman
Try this, but i make no guarantees that it will even boot.
http://lantisproject.com/gargoyle_mvebu/
Hello,
my latest analysis is the lack of drivers in the kernel. :idea:
  • kmod-ath9k + dependent files
    kmod-ath10k-ct + dependent files
    ath10k-firmware-qca988x-ct
    kmod-fs-f2fs + dependent files
If you put these modules in the image (gargoyle_1.11.x-mvebu-cortexa9-turris-omnia-sysupgrade.img.gz), everything should work.
I'll wait for another modification, thank you.

Roman
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

f2fs is possibly the only one that wouldn’t let it boot properly.
Including ath9/10k are both quite big for the sake of a single target.

If it works I may need to split it into a new target profile.

The main issue appears to be the initramfs.