Roll back to stock firmware, archer c7

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

fortify9

Roll back to stock firmware, archer c7

Post by fortify9 »

I would like to roll back to the stock firmware on a archer c7 v2, i have downloaded the most recent stock firmware for the router. Is there anything I need to before flashing the stock firmware?

d3fz

Re: Roll back to stock firmware, archer c7

Post by d3fz »

In order to revert to stock firmware, you need a modified/striped firmware image so you can flash it directly through Gargoyle's interface.

Note: After reverting from Gargoyle to stock firmware, remember that the router's IP address will change back to "192.168.0.1". (Default user:"admin"/password:"admin")

Now you can flash the latest stock firmware from TP-Link interface, as you normally would.

May i ask why you decided to go back to stock firmware? Did you had any major problem with Gargoyle (or missed and specific feature)? Let us know.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

jaymer

Post by jaymer »

d3fz wrote: May i ask why you decided to go back to stock firmware? Did you had any major problem with Gargoyle (or missed and specific feature)? Let us know.
I am on my 2nd Archer v2.
Been a total pain in the ass for me and family.
Wireless 2.4 drops off many times / week.

Installed Gargoyle, but problem has not gone away.
AND I lost ability to use Circle, so this is a no go.
Am not sure I was on the latest Archer fw, so am going back to that to see if it corrects any issues.

thx

rfdude

Post by rfdude »

I've had the Archer C7 v2 for a year. Loading up the C7 with Gargoyle is easy and painless. It seems to work well with basic features and also the all important Quota feature. I have it do a reboot every night and all is well. But when I attempted to turn on VPN, web locked up and stopped working. Partially bricked. Some signs of life, but not totally functional and not passing data. Easy to do a recovery with the boot loader, but a pain in a busy life. So I have to concur that C7 and 1.10.0 is quirky. There are a few other examples in my mind that I can't convey right now. So this post becomes a bit of a teaser. Sorry! My most stable implementation so far has been a Buffalo wzr-hp-g300nh2 running 1.9.2 running a mesh network (WiFi turned off) from a remote hill top. Not easily accessed in winter. Really... don't want to touch it and attempt 1.10.0. If it ain't broke...

Keep up the great work! Love the quota feature to manage abuse on limited BW connections. Always looking for the best compatible router to drive Mesh networks. WiFi on Router not required. Best throughput for money being the most important.
rfdude
------------------
1.09.2 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 -> 8 OpenMesh AP's
1.10.0 Archer C7 -> Multiple Cisco 1702i Autonomous Mode

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

@rfdude

I have 3 Archer C7 v2 in production networks and they are rock solid.

Mainly they are used as a Big VPN network. They have been up for years with no maintenance.

Either there is something wrong with your hardware (broken Archer C7 v2) or you need to look elsewhere for your problem.

The Archer C7 v2 is a very stable router with Gargoyle (1.10.x)

mhegab

Post by mhegab »

ispisail,

Does the WAN port work? I have the same V2 and same software rev but WAN isn't working (not as PPPoE or Static IP). I know that the modem works because it's working with another router.

It looks like I will need to revert to stock to see if it's the software or the hardware.

How do we revert? I have the stripped image. Web or Putty or how?

Thanks

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

all my three C7 are in production networks and the WAN port works.

In fact this message is being sent through one now

example firmware here (not exactly the same)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11836

grim

Post by grim »

Does it include patch for HW support Archer C7 V2?

I migrated to LEDE as gargoyle was too slow with QoS enabled.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

grim wrote:Does it include patch for HW support Archer C7 V2?

I migrated to LEDE as gargoyle was too slow with QoS enabled.
As per other post.

You need to get a router with a bigger CPU

grim

Post by grim »

But with OpenWRT/LEDE patched for C7 v2 https://github.com/infinitnet/lede-ar71 ... cher-c7-v2 router breaks through 100Mb/s

So, I have to move to TP-Link firmware or stay on OpenWrt.

ok.