Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 5

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

lemine

Re: Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 5

Post by lemine »

Any chance of 1.11.0 released before Christmas or even New Year?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I have organised it and asked for it to happen, but haven’t heard back yet unfortunately.
RC5 is a good one to use in the interim
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Wildcats198311

Post by Wildcats198311 »

I am very unhappy. I attempted to update my WD MyNet N750. I downloaded the correct file for the router and flashed the update onto the router. It did not complete the install and now the router is in constant boot mode. The power light blinks constantly. I tried doing the recovery option for the router and it does not work. My computer does not recognize the device.
I had a second MyNet N750 and thinking I screwed up the first on my own by flashing a incomplete file, I got the second router and flashed the factory install file to the device. I was able to use the router for a few minutes. I turned WiFi on and then decided I wanted to add my DHCP devices first, I turned off WiFi and now the router is not working. The power light is now constantly blinking on both my devices.

Update...
I was messing around with the routers and some how got them working. I re-flashed RC5 on the one and it seams ok so far. I haven’t tried turning WiFi off and on to see if it glitches the device again.

lemine

Post by lemine »

Tried it on TRENDnet TEW-823DRU, has been up for 16 hours, no problem so far.

Wildcats198311

Post by Wildcats198311 »

I am only having problem if switch WiFi off and on a few times in a row... I know this isn’t a common thing and most will turn it on and leave it on. It just happened that I figured I should do other settings first after I turned it on the first time then had the problem when turned it back off. (I have limited internet, and wanted to set some of my devices up for Quota limit). After I finally got the router to allow me to be re-flashed and had a chance to, I turned WiFi off and on 2-3 times and had the problem again... after that I haven’t turned if off after turning it back on. Had no issues for 9-10 hours or so.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

What settings are you using? Wifi and any other optional modules.
It isn’t likely that just turning wifi off and on causes the issue. It will be something else that restarts with the wifi.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Wildcats198311

Post by Wildcats198311 »

I did not do any changes. The first time I had just flashed the firmware onto my brand new MyNet N750 (just took plastic off the box and all) using the factory file. I set a password. Then went to start to set up WiFi, turned it on, and remembered I had to set the quota limits and IP addresses, turned WiFi back off and tried going to To connection to set up stuff there and it went off and the router’s power light started blinking. Could not do anything, powering off the router and even pressing the reset button did nothing. After a few seconds the power light would start blinking.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

@Wildcats198311

Can you try an older version of gargoyle?

Can you try Openwrt?

Process of elimination

Wildcats198311

Post by Wildcats198311 »

1.10.x worked great for months. And other previous versions before that, for the last couple years. I never had any problems. 1.11.0 RC5 is working good now as well. I’m not sure what or why the device malfunctioned.

I never tried OpenWRT in the past. I need the Quota feature with throttling. I could never find out for sure if OpenWRT had these features available, so I just stayed with Gargoyle since I knew it worked and had the feature I need the most.

I did put OpenWRT on my old MyNet N750. I did not understand it and didn’t like the layout. I don’t know much about programming and all the add on things. I just want something easy and pretty much basic with the few main features that are already in Gargoyle.
(when I installed the RC5 version the old N750 it went into constant boot mode or something ... I thought I had a incomplete download so I powered off the modem before it completed install which I know I shouldn’t have done... thinking I had bricked the device, I opened my new N750 that I had for a backup. That’s when I had problems with the new device after turning on and off WiFi ).

I have since got both devices in working order. I have Gargoyle 1.11.0 RC 5 on the newer device, and I think I flashed the original WD firmware onto the old one for now but it is not being used.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

How did you upgrade?

Preserve settings?

Did you try failsafe reset/ re flash without pre
serve settings