Wireless Bridge/Repeater mode

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

lollapalooza

Wireless Bridge/Repeater mode

Post by lollapalooza »

I'm trying to set-up Gargoyle (1.10.0) as a Wireless Bridge.

Basically I need it to be connected to a Wi-Fi network, and to provide internet connectivity on LAN ports (no Wi-Fi access).

In short:
Main router -> (Wi-Fi) -> Gargoyle -> (wired) -> Clients

I have set up the Wireless Bridge/Repeater mode.
I have set up "connect via client bridge" and selected the correct Wi-Fi network.

I have also set-up bridge IP (on same subnet as main router), subnet mask, gateway (IP address of main router), and custom DNS servers (OpenDNS IPs).

At reboot Gargoyle router is connected to main router (I can see from web interface) via Wi-Fi.

Anyway:
From LAN ports Gargoyle Web Interface does not open (timeout), SSH does not work either.

From LAN ports I can ping public ip addresses (i.e. 8.8.8.8), but DNS resolution does not work.

On the other side, when connected to main router, I can open Gargoyle Web Interface.

What have I done wrong? :-)

Lantis

Re: Wireless Bridge/Repeater mode

Post by Lantis »

Setting the bridge IP in the same subnet is the problem.
Read the prompts on the UI, it should tell you NOT to do this.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

lollapalooza

Post by lollapalooza »

Yes, I saw that.
But (honestly) I tough it was a mistake :-D

Now the question is: if I give Gargoyle an IP on a different subnet, how do I open the Gargoyle Web UI (or SSH) afterwards?

I.e. main router and clients will be on 192.168.1.0/24, while Gargoyle will be 192.168.2.0/24... and it will be alone and lonely there; there’s not even a gateway there.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You can access it on either the Bridge IP or the IP handed to it by the upstream AP (we call this the “Relay IP”).
I think both of these IPs are displayed on the Overview screen once it is up and running.

Of course to access the bridge IP you need to set a static IP within this subnet for the client.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

lollapalooza

Post by lollapalooza »

I’ll give it a try tomorrow... thank you.

lollapalooza

Post by lollapalooza »

Lantis wrote:I think both of these IPs are displayed on the Overview screen once it is up and running.
You are right, they are shown...
Anyway I tried what you say, but it does not work.
Screenshot below are the settings:

Main router IP is 192.168.1.254/24
Bridge IP is 192.168.2.1 (and I actually manage to connect there, by manually assigning an IP on the smae subnet to my laptop).

As I told you, I don't need Gargoyle to provide Wi-Fi (repeater disabled).

With those settings Gargoyle connects to main router via Wi-Fi.

Anyway: same results as yesterday...

From LAN ports Gargoyle Web Interface does not open (timeout), SSH does not work either.

From LAN ports I can ping public ip addresses (i.e. 8.8.8.8), but DNS resolution does not work.

On the other side, when laptop is connected to main router, I can open Gargoyle Web Interface on 192.168.1.X subnet.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I can’t test this as I’m away on business, although I am confident it should work as it is.
My one thought is that the wired client is not releasing its old DHCP lease under the bridge subnet and therefore never requesting a new one in the relay subnet.

lollapalooza

Post by lollapalooza »

I have tried many times to unplug/plug the RJ45 cable, and also to run ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew command.

Wired client takes an IP on the same subnet as the main router (192.168.1.0/24).