Open VPN

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

JV78

Open VPN

Post by JV78 »

If I set up my router as a open VPN server, will it still be accessible by devices without VPN software installed?
In other words, can I connect to the router with VPN while someone else is connected in the "normal" way.

Lantis

Re: Open VPN

Post by Lantis »

Yes, although i don't understand the context behind your question.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

JV78

Post by JV78 »

Let's say I want to connect my laptop through a VPN but I don't wanna go through the trouble of installing the VPN client on all the devices in my house. With 3 kids + by/girlfriends the number of devices can add up.

ektus

Post by ektus »

I believe VPN is used for accessing the router and your internal network form the outside. It shouldn't disturb access of devices from inside the LAN. I've yet to setup and test myself, though...

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

VPN server
In "server mode" openVPN pokes a hole in your firewall meaning the outside would can get in if you have the right password.

All clients inside your network will have access to the internet as normal.

I suspect you getting confused with "OpenVPN Clients" and "VPN service providers" which can effect all traffic going out of your network.