Youku YK-L1c

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

ghorvath

Re: Youku YK-L1c

Post by ghorvath »

Lantis wrote: I have pushed that into Gargoyle in the same PR linked above as well.
Thank you! I am trying it out now doing make ramips.youku-yk1 (the name of the profile I created). I wait whether it compiles.

However, I checked out the pull request also into another and tried to do make custom. This now asks for git username and password. Is that intentional, or am I doing something wrong?

Code: Select all

ghorvath@SamsungLaptop:~/work/gargoyle$ make custom
( \
	target=`echo custom  | sed 's/\..*$//'` ; \
	profile=`echo custom | sed 's/^.*\.//'`  ; \
	have_profile=`echo custom | grep "\."`  ; \
	if [ -z "$have_profile" ] ; then profile="" ; fi ; \
	if [ ! -d "targets/${target}" ] ; then echo "ERROR: Specified Target Does Not Exist" ; exit ; fi ; \
	if [ -n "$profile" ] && [ ! -d "targets/${target}/profiles/${profile}" ] ; then echo "ERROR: Specified Target Profile Does Not Exist" ; exit ; fi ; \
	if [ -d "Distribution" ] ; then rm -rf "Distribution" ; fi ;\
	if [ ! -d "${target}-src" ] || [ "false" = "1" -o "false" = "true" -o "false" = "TRUE" ] ; then \
		bash build.sh "$target" "1.11.X (Built 20180810-0501 git@773556d4)" "99" "ar71xx" "ar71xx" "true" "true" "$profile" "internationalize" "English-EN" "English-EN" "auto" "false"; \
	else \
		bash rebuild.sh "$target" "1.11.X (Built 20180810-0501 git@773556d4)" "99" "true" "true" "$profile" "internationalize" "English-EN" "English-EN" "auto" "false"; \
	fi ; \
)
Error: target language package not found.

** node/npm not installed globally! Attempting to build them            **

uglifyjs ok!
Compressing Javascript files...
cp: stat '/mnt/work/ghorvath/gargoyle/compressed_javascript/*' sikertelen: Nincs ilyen fájl vagy könyvtár
Done!
uglifycss ok!
Compressing CSS files...
cp: stat '/mnt/work/ghorvath/gargoyle/compressed_css/*' sikertelen: Nincs ilyen fájl vagy könyvtár
Done!

Gargoyle is now building target: custom / custom
                 (with 6 build threads)

Setting ar71xx as the custom build target platform in menuconfig
Editing config file to build in Warning: python was not found.
/mnt/work/ghorvath/gargoyle
Error: the internationalization plugin was not found. translation

Warning: injecting gargoyle-i18n package into config file

Warning: target language not present in config file

Target language Warning: python was not found.
/mnt/work/ghorvath/gargoyle
Error: the internationalization plugin was not found. missing from package directory
Using shell script to set i18n language
Cloning into '/mnt/work/ghorvath/gargoyle/downloaded/openwrt-18.06-packages-2a8d8ad'...
Username for 'https://github.com': 
Password for 'https://github.com': 
remote: Repository not found.
fatal: Authentication failed for 'https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt-18.06.git/'
build.sh: 602. sor: cd: /mnt/work/ghorvath/gargoyle/downloaded/openwrt-18.06-packages-2a8d8ad: Nincs ilyen fájl vagy könyvtár
error: pathspec 'openwrt-18.06' did not match any file(s) known to git.
ls: '/mnt/work/ghorvath/gargoyle/downloaded/openwrt-18.06-packages-2a8d8ad' nem érhető el: Nincs ilyen fájl vagy könyvtár
cat: /mnt/work/ghorvath/gargoyle/package-prepare/gargoyle/Makefile: Nincs ilyen fájl vagy könyvtár
mv: '.vermake'-t nem lehet ide áthelyezni: '/mnt/work/ghorvath/gargoyle/custom-src/package/gargoyle/Makefile': Nincs ilyen fájl vagy könyvtár
^CMakefile:56: recipe for target 'custom' failed
make: *** [custom] Félbeszakítás

ghorvath@SamsungLaptop:~/work/gargoyle$ 
Here, "sikertelen: Nincs ilyen fájl vagy könyvtár" means: "unsuccessful: No such file or directory"

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I've fixed that as well. That was a logic fail on my part.

The build crashed on an oversize image (a trait which is beneficial to Openwrt but annoying for Gargoyle). So i'm just in the process of patching that out now and we'll see where we get to.

Another thing i note though is that you have LOTS of errors at the very beginning of the compile process.
It looks like at a minimum you are missing python, but there are other errors as well.

EDIT: and another oversized image crash patched away
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ghorvath

Post by ghorvath »

Lantis wrote: Another thing i note though is that you have LOTS of errors at the very beginning of the compile process.
It looks like at a minimum you are missing python, but there are other errors as well.
Yes, I noticed that too. However, most of it is untrue, e.g. I already had python straight after the very first boot of this machine. There was some problem when I checked out different branches: at one of these checkouts a lot of files have been erased, even files that were supposed to be in the git repository. So maybe that caused the issue, I am not sure.
Lantis wrote:I've fixed that as well. That was a logic fail on my part.

The build crashed on an oversize image (a trait which is beneficial to Openwrt but annoying for Gargoyle). So i'm just in the process of patching that out now and we'll see where we get to.
EDIT: and another oversized image crash patched away
Thanks! I checked out your pull request. (Some git magic was needed, because it seems that somehow you overwrote the second commit? Anyway.) make custom now works, it seems that msmtp compiles (at least the ipk file, I compiled it in "M" mode), and I managed to finally get an image file of about 8MiB size! I will try it during the weekend, and see if it works.

In the meantime, I figured out something about my router that may be relevant.

For this router the seller provided 3 files:

lede-17.01.2-ramips-mt7620-youku-yk1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
lede-ramips-mt7620-youku-yk1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
openwrt-15.05.1-ramips-mt7620-Lenovo-y1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
The first and last are identical to the ones downloadable from the official openwrt website. The second I am not sure about, it even has a much different size (about 7MB, compared to about 4MBs for the first and third).

Note, however, that the lede and openwrt device names are different (youku-yk1 vs Lenovo-y1). Now, the device is Youku YK-L1C, so I assumed that I can work with the the youku-yk1 firmware. However,

cat/proc/cpuinfo

identifies the machine as Lenovo Y1. And openwrt in chaos calmer 15.05.1 had only Lenovo Y1, and did not have youku-yk1. So I am pretty sure that whoever built the gargoyle firmware that is on my router, they built it using the Lenovo Y1 config from openwrt.

I managed to compile an image of about 8MiB for Lenovo-y1, as well, however that one I could only find in the ramips-src/bin/targets/ramips/mt7620 directory. Any specific reason that this image file was not copied over to the images directory?

One more thing: I am still not able to pick the gargoyle minidlna plugin. Is this intentional? What could be the cause?

Thanks for all the help, let's see if any of the images work!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

At the end of the compile process it checks the generated files against patterns in the profile_images file and copies them across. I’d guess it didn’t fit any patterns.

I’m glad you got an image finished. Nice job :)

Minidlna has gone a bit weird in the menus. It has a dependency on something which isn’t selected by default, and therefore is hidden until you do this (which never used to happen).
In the menu if you press “/“ to search, and type “minidlna” you should see the Gargoyle plugin and what it depends on. If anything in that list is no, search for that and enable it. Then you should be able to enable the original plugin.
From the search you can press the numbers shown to go straight to that part of the menu.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I might halt my progress here and wait to see if your images work. If they don't work i can continue but it sounds like you've got it covered now.

ghorvath

Post by ghorvath »

Lantis wrote:I might halt my progress here and wait to see if your images work. If they don't work i can continue but it sounds like you've got it covered now.
Ok, thanks. I haven't flashed any of the images, yet. I will do it when I have more time on my hands in one block (in case something goes kaput....)

In the meantime, I figured out why the image was not copied over for the Lenovo y1. In openwrt it is called y1, so I needed to put "-y1" into the profile_images file. I rerun the compilation (it finished now within about 20 minutes!), and indeed, it copied over the file as it should have.

However, the image is not entirely the same as the one I compiled yesterday (I did a bit-by-bit comparison (diff)). Is it possible that maybe the date of the compilation is somehow encoded in there? Yeah, I guess it is encoded in the banner, which would cause different images if they were compiled on different days.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yes you’re right. It is definitely in the banner file.
I’m sure it’s probably in a few other places as well.

ghorvath

Post by ghorvath »

Victory!

Ok, so I flashed the youku-yk1 image I generated, and it boots! I have ssh access, I have web access, I have all the menus I expect to have. I did not yet play around with the different configurations, but it looks like it works.

I would be happy to share the build config. Should I do a pull request with that? Before that, what kind of testing should I put this build through?

I haven't tried the Lenovo-y1 image, yet, but if you want, I can flash it, as well, and see if it boots/works. I guess it would work, as well, considering that the previous flash was based on that openwrt target profile.

Thanks for the help on minidlna, I figured that one out, as well. In the menuconfig one needs to select "Global Build settings -> Compile with support for patented functionality". After that minidlna shows up in the "Administration ->
Gargoyle Web Interface" page.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

That’s awesome.
Generally successful boot, and qos/quota rate limiting are my general tests as those are the ones which fail easiest.
Setting a QOS class with a speed limit and seeing if it applies is sufficient.

As for the pull request, that’s an interesting one.
So I think your config will end up almost exactly the same as the ramips.mt7620_usb config that already existed (except you’ve obviously rebased it to work for Gargoyle 1.11.x). So if you wanted to do a PR, it would be to update the existing config to yours, and then add your device to the profile_images file.
That is, as long as you selected generic target and not specifically your router.

And my preference (without wanting to create extra work for you) is that all of the ramips profiles would be updated together. But if you’re not up to that task and just want to submit yours, that would also be well received.
:)

Well done for getting this far.

ghorvath

Post by ghorvath »

Lantis wrote: That is, as long as you selected generic target and not specifically your router.
Hm, so here is what I did. I did a "make custom", picked my target device (youku-yk1), in the Global Build Settings I enabled the support for patent functionality, went to Administration -> Gargoyle Web interface, enabled Gargoyle, enabled i18n (with English), enabled openvpn, usb-printer and usb-storage. All the rest I put as "M", so I could install them later if I wanted to. Then I saved the config, exited, stopped the compilation by CTRL+C. Created the new profile ramips/profiles/youku-yk1, copied over the config file and created the profile images with only content "-youku-yk1". Then I typed "make ramips.youku-yk1", which produced me with an image file, and that flashes to the rooter and boots.

Should I do something different? I thought this was the way to go for new devices supported by openwrt.